Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which test kit/options do I need?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which test kit/options do I need?

I need to know if the TF100, with the salt test strips is all I need for my SWG pool or do I need other options too. I tried to find the answer in the pool school, but either I skipped over it or didn't understand it. I'm trying to get this ordered so I can get this SWG back up and running ASAP and wean this pool off of the chlorine tabs. Thanks in advance.
    75'X12' 2-lane IG lap pool built in 2008. 33,000 gallons. Gunite construction with vinyl liner. All equipment is Hayward - cartridge filtration system, Mineral Springs SWG (not currently working - switched to adding chlorine manually), 300,000BTU natural gas pool heater. Also use a 4-panel solar system in summer. Pool is located inside a 25'X100' concrete block building w/natural gas forced air furnace/SIPS roof.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which test kit/options do I need?

Coach, I can't speak for the SWG strips, but definitely order the speed stir and XL option (extra reagent). Great test kit!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would recommend you get the XL option (larger R0871 regeant). It should last a couple of years (unless you have to SLAM), and will save you the hassle of having to reorder it and pay shipping cost again.

Another recommendation, but of course its your choice...skip the salt strips and go for the Taylor K1766 titration salt test kit. The Taylor salt test rocks and leaves no doubt as to what the salt level is and is accurate to 200 ppm. After having used it now, I would not be caught dead without one.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

If your water is not crystal clear, then the XL option is a good idea. I prefer the K-1766 salt test over the strips. And the SpeedStir is a great add-on that no one has regretted buying.

The gauges they sell are really nice and if you are getting free shipping anyway, cheaper than the junk you would find locally.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

My water is mostly crystal clear, and this pool has been (mostly) easy to care for. My biggest hassle has been the lack of reliability of the equipment, but that's another story all together. I've ordered the TF100 and the K1766 option. The other things are going to have to wait until I see how much it's going to cost me to get this SWG back up and running again. Can't wait to get it and get some real numbers on things! Right now my biggest concern is what the CYA numbers are going to come out at, since I've been using the trichlor tabs for about nine months, so I'm really concerned. Thanks for the help!
    75'X12' 2-lane IG lap pool built in 2008. 33,000 gallons. Gunite construction with vinyl liner. All equipment is Hayward - cartridge filtration system, Mineral Springs SWG (not currently working - switched to adding chlorine manually), 300,000BTU natural gas pool heater. Also use a 4-panel solar system in summer. Pool is located inside a 25'X100' concrete block building w/natural gas forced air furnace/SIPS roof.

6. Back To Top    #6

You're welcome, and Welcome to the forum!

Let us know. Good move on getting a proper kit.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem