The pool store put chemicals in my pool

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I just had my liner replaced and they came out yesterday put chemicals in my pool. According to them they shocked it with 4 pounds of shock and added 3 pounds of stabilizer. Below are my numbers. How long should I wait before I start to add CYA? In the meantime, what should I keep at chlorine at?

CYA: 0
FC: 1
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 60
CH: 0

First question we have to ask ... who took these readings? You or the pool store? If it was the pool store they simply are not reliable. As for what to do next, I would suggest as follows:
- Keep your FC at 2ppm (for now) w/ liquid bleach until that stabilizer they dumped in your pool starts to record - that will take about a week to register. Once you have CYA of 30-40, increase your FC to your recommended level based on the Chlorine/CYA chart link below

Everything else is fine for now, but I would feel better knowing these are your test results and not theirs. :) Hope this helps you.

If the "shock" they used was dichor, that means they put a total of about 6 lbs of stabilizer (CYA) in your pool, which will put your CYA around 20ppm. It can take up to a week before it fully registers on the test.

If you trust that the pool guys only put in what they said they put in, you could start adding another 3lbs of stabilizer. Personally, I would wait a week and retest. For now, assume a CYA of 20, and try to keep your FC between 2 and 3ppm, fine to go a little higher but stay below 10ppm.

Is your CH really 0? That's some pure water you had trucked in! Doesn't matter too much with a vinyl pool, but if the water seems foamy, adding some calcium reduce the foaminess.

Those are my numbers with the tft kit. (I'm a happy member since 2010) The water is city water, approx cost about 200 according to them. We will see when I get my next bill.

Ok I will keep CL at 2ppm, for now. I just figured that I would see some CYA 24 hours later.

As always, thanks!

If the shock was Dichlor, then the 4lbs of Dichlor would only add 6.7ppm of CYA and the 3 pounds of stabilizer would only add 10ppm ... so at most your CYA is 17ppm (assuming that is what they truly added). No point in waiting to add more IMO since the CYA would be lower than the test can read anyway. I think I would add another 10-20ppm of CYA (3-6 pounds) now.

Stabilizer is another name for CYA. If your pool is 36k gallons you are going to need more than the three pounds. But, can you be sure that's exact what they added? CYA doesn't show up in testing for up to a week after its added. If you are sure that they added 3 lb, and that the pool is 36k, you are going to need to add more. I would add 5 lbs., wait a week then test and fine tune to your desired level. To add it, pour it into a sock, tie it up and either hang it in front of the return or drop it in the skimmer. Squeeze it once in a while until it's fully dissolved. Don't bother testing for the level for a week, but adjust your FC assuming it's in there.

Thanks for the correction, jblizzle. I got my numbers a little mixed up. :-( Fortunately it was only a 5ppm difference.

But that's the great thing about this site: we all double-check each other, so it is rare that incorrect advice gets through uncontested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.