Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Owner - Ready to Test WQ

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner - Ready to Test WQ

My name is Earl. Me, my wife, and two kids are in the process of buying a new home that has an in-ground swimming pool. I'm an Environmental Engineer, so I'm anxious to do some water quality testing and to utilize the TFP techniques. We're not in the house yet, but i have checked out the equipment and purchased a Taylor K-2006 Test Kit. I've entered some estimates of the pool equipment into my signature. Once i have more information I'll update it. I know very little about pool maintenance, but I'm extremely interested in keeping my pool at its optimal condition. I look forward to interacting on the Forum. Thanks for having me!!!!
    23,000 gallons, chlorine, Hayward sand filter, two-speed pump, 2 below-deck skimmers, cascading water return feature with two sub-surface returns, vegetative landscaping and rocks along edge, some gunite surface degradation. CYA issue detected, Lowered from 200 to 45 over four drain/replaces, SLAM test results (Taylor K-2006) - FC = 18 - 25 ppm, CC = 0 to 0.5 ppm, ph = 7.2 (pre-slam), TA = 150 ppm, CH = 70 ppm, CYA = 45 ppm.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner - Ready to Test WQ

Welcome to TFP!!!

Good on you for getting a good test kit right away

How does the water look in the pool?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum Earl! We hope to provide you with some rock-solid pool care information that will help enjoy your new pool and summer. In your profession, you might pass along a thing or two to us as well. Very happy to hear you have a great test kit. Your way ahead of many pool owners out there. Anytime you have a question, just post it. Many TFP'ers are surfin' the site just waiting to assist.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to get some water samples in a few days, so I can test it out. The water looks ok from the naked eye, but obviously that means little at this point. I did notice a few small green dots on the surface of the pool in shallow areas. this could indicate some slight algae growth. The gunite surface is worn and not aesthetically pleasing in all areas, but the inspector says there's no structural issues. i plan on getting a pool repair guy out there to verify this. The pool also has a rock waterfall feature and plenty of rock/vegetation placed along side the pool. It a chlorine pool with a single speed pump set on a timer (approximately 6 hours during the evening). The filter is sand. The plumbing looks fairly new. Once I have some numbers to work with, I'll get back with y'all. Thanks for the welcome.
    23,000 gallons, chlorine, Hayward sand filter, two-speed pump, 2 below-deck skimmers, cascading water return feature with two sub-surface returns, vegetative landscaping and rocks along edge, some gunite surface degradation. CYA issue detected, Lowered from 200 to 45 over four drain/replaces, SLAM test results (Taylor K-2006) - FC = 18 - 25 ppm, CC = 0 to 0.5 ppm, ph = 7.2 (pre-slam), TA = 150 ppm, CH = 70 ppm, CYA = 45 ppm.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool. Need to get some chlorine/bleach in that pool pronto before those little green spots turn in to a big green pool. It won't take long. If you don't know about how many gallons give us some dimensions and we can help. Pool School - PoolMath has a volume estimator too. Need to get about 4 ppm of bleach in there per day.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Sale will not be final until early July, but I've been checking out the pool via the realtor. Hopefully, I'll get some test results later today. I'll also eyeball the dimensions.

Edit: Until I get more definitive dimensions, I'd estimate it's between 10 ans 12 thousand gallons. Should I slowly introduce some bleach in there this evening? If so, how much? Or should I just get test results and regular access first?

TIA

8. Back To Top    #8

There is a conundrum on how much chlorine to put in your pool. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart.

But, in the interests of making your future SLAM shorter I would put 2 gallons of PLAIN 8.25% bleach. No scents, splashless, easy pour ,etc. And then 1 gallon per day thereafter.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Here are my results:

FC = 5 PPM
    CC = 0.4 PPM
    PH = 7.0 - 8 Drops needed to bring to 7.7/7.8
    TA = 70 PPM
    CH = 330 PM
    CYA = 135 PPM

THE CYA results look curious to me. Maybe I should retry the test.

10. Back To Top    #10

Retested. The results are off the readable chart at approximately 140 or so.

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like water replacement time to lower the CYA.

There is a diluted version of the CYA test that might give you a better idea how high it is:
    Extended Test Instructions
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I've been reading and it does appear I need to replace the water. I saw the previous owner had some of those pucks in the storage shed, which appears to be the smoking gun in this scenario. A few questions:

1) I have some slight surface damage/plaster damage in the pool (mostly aesthetic issues such as chipping plaster). Would there be any risk in draining 75% of the pool if it is in this condition?
    2) What is the recommended way to drain the pool? Rent a pump and refill with the garden hose?
    3) Would the water harm any nearby landscaping if it is dumped in they yard?
    4) I guess I'll need to Slam the water after refilling correct?

TIA

13. Back To Top    #13

1) You do not want the plaster to be dry and exposed to the sun for very long. So multiple smaller drains might be better. You also need to be worried about your ground water level so the pool does not float out of the ground.

2) If you can isolate the floor drain, your pump might be able to pull the water out. Or rent/buy a submersible pump. Refill with a few garden hoses.

3) Nope, should be fine to water the plants with.

4) Yup. SLAM would be a good idea to ensure you are starting fresh.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks. Get to it.

15. Back To Top    #15

With my elevated CYA, would one jug of chlorine a day suffice while implementing several partial refills? Or would two jugs be recommended?

16. Back To Top    #16

Chlorine level is calculated based on CYA level and the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Since yours is 135, we'll use 140. Chart only goes to 100, so we will use 70x2. min 5x2=10, target 8x2=16, shock 28x2=56

To SLAM your pool you would need to maintain chlorine level at 56 ppm. To keep it from getting a lot worse you probably want to keep it at least 20ppm.

Go to Pool School - PoolMath and input your gallons, we'll use 12000, put FC NOW 0 and target 20, change percentage to 8.25 and hit calculate. It says to add 355oz, almost 3 jugs.

So, I would add 3 jugs the first day and 2-3 thereafter.
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok, here's my plan. Please tell me if any of this is not the correct course of action. I would likely not begin this process until early to mid-July.

1) I'll replace the water in the pool through a series of 1/3 volume reductions (hopefully only require 3) until I get a CYA reading within the 50 to 60 ppm range
    2) While performing the replacement process, I'll add liquid bleach to the water to ensure no algal blooms occur. I plan on adding 3 jugs of bleach a day until replacement is concluded.
    3) Once CYA is at an appropriate level, SLAM the pool and begin a testing regime from there.
    4) Modify WQ parameters as dictated by testing results.

TIA

18. Back To Top    #18

Sounds like a plan. Can you confirm your pool volume? 10k cubic feet is a HUGE pool. Maybe put the gallons in your signature so it is easier to reference.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

My bad. I put that in there a few weeks back. I don't have the exact volume yet due to limited access, but I'd estimate between 10 and 15 K GALLONS.

20. Back To Top    #20

Earlybird, where in BR are you? We have a house in Denham, and just bought a new place in the New Orleans metro, so we aren't far apart if you need a hand or second set of eyes on something
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast