Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: Which option is best?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy an Intex filter/pump because they are interchangeable

3 100.00%
  • Buy a Coleman sand filter/pump because they exist

0 0%
  • Try something else...even if it is hard to do

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Trying to Upgrade my Coleman Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Trying to Upgrade my Coleman Pump

Hello!

My wife and I bought our first above-ground pool and got the 18 foot Coleman. We have done a lot of research in regards to the pool filters/pumps and have also gone to some pool supply stores (Leslie's was the best). The research and stores all lead to the fact that the "out of the box filter/pump" is horrible and we need to upgrade to a sand filter/pump combo. I cannot find any Coleman sand filter/pump combos on the internet and Leslie's said Coleman has proprietary hose connections. I want to get the sand filter/pump combo but don't want to buy one that doesn't fit with my Coleman pool. Can anyone help out with my questions?

1) Are Intex and Coleman hoses interchangeable like some rumors say?
    2) Does Coleman actually make sand filter/pump combos that I can order?
    3) If the answer to the first two questions are no, does anyone have suggestions for my way ahead?

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Trying to Upgrade my Coleman Pump

I have been told that the Intex and Coleman fittings are the same, so the pumps should be interchangeable. To be certain, I suppose you could purchase an Intex replacement hose and try it. All of our local Academy sporting goods stores carry them.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

1) yes
    2) no

You're in good shape, use any of the intex stuff.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks very much! The closest Academy Sports is about 30 minutes away for me. The pump/filter combo I was looking at was Intex...but it was the saltwater version. Was told that the water in my area is so good that I don't need the extra cost and hassle of a saltwater system.

I do not know if we have a skimmer...but I am assuming that is recommended as well. And 1/2 hp pump is the best way to go? Some of my research says use a 1 hp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yister View Post
    1) yes
    2) no

You're in good shape, use any of the intex stuff.
    Thanks! I thought I was on the mark with Coleman not making them anymore. Is the combo unit still the best way to go or do you recommend separate pump and filter?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Saltwate...ct_top?ie=UTF8

This is the saltwater/sand pump/filter combo i was thinking about getting. The Leslie's Pool guy said he doesn't recommend saltwater for an 18 foot above ground pool

5. Back To Top    #5

I've used salt water for 4 years starting with a 12' pool. It's easy on the eyes and skin, my kids don't wear goggles anymore. Every year all I do is put water and add cya and that's it. The salt/chlor generator does the rest. Just clean the copper plate in vinegar every month or so for optimal function. Good luck.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think any SWGs use copper plates for the FC generation.

Some have extra plates to ADD copper to the pool which we recommend disconnecting.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

My advise is to buy the 2800gph Intex sand filter. The new Intex SWG with ECO does not have copper in it. I have one and it works great! Do not buy a "combo unit" that has the pump/filter and SWG all in one. Intex stuff has too much of a tendency to break. You do not want to have to replace the whole unit when one component stops working. Don't get me wrong, when I say it breaks, it usually lasts well long enough to be worth the money you paid. Just expect it to break down every couple years and need a replacement.

Also you said your water is so good it doesn't need a SWG? That comment does not make sense. A SWG is used to take salt in your water and convert it to chlorine. This makes it so you do not have to add chlorine manually. The salt is something you add one time when opening the pool, and maybe a little extra now and then when enough pool water gets splashed out. Your water quality from the tap has nothing to do with it.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
    My advise is to buy the 2800gph Intex sand filter. The new Intex SWG with ECO does not have copper in it. I have one and it works great! Do not buy a "combo unit" that has the pump/filter and SWG all in one. Intex stuff has too much of a tendency to break. You do not want to have to replace the whole unit when one component stops working. Don't get me wrong, when I say it breaks, it usually lasts well long enough to be worth the money you paid. Just expect it to break down every couple years and need a replacement.

Also you said your water is so good it doesn't need a SWG? That comment does not make sense. A SWG is used to take salt in your water and convert it to chlorine. This makes it so you do not have to add chlorine manually. The salt is something you add one time when opening the pool, and maybe a little extra now and then when enough pool water gets splashed out. Your water quality from the tap has nothing to do with it.
    Thanks a ton everyone! I believe I will go with the saltwater.

9. Back To Top    #9

We have a Coleman pool and Intex sand filter pump with SWG and everything hooked up fine. I couldn't be happier.