Newly acquired 'project pool' step 1

Jun 13, 2013
Yakima, WA
Hi all.

We inherited this pool when we bought a foreclosed home last year. I am now trying to get it up and running.

Some background: it's a ~25k gal IG plaster pool that was severely neglected for years. Probably wasn't winterized one year and all exposed plumbing cracked and the pool drained itself, (situated on a hill side with no drainage issues). The CoverPool auto cover disintegrated and ripped off the tracks into the pool. Then years of no water, tons of organic debris, etc has broken off lots of the plaster and cause divers in the gunite. Yes, this is what we started with...

image.jpg

What I've done so far... Emptied and Cleaned it out as good as possible including pressure washing etc. had the pool company replace all the exposed plumbing. Had American Leak determine there were no leaks in any of the lines. yay! Pool company replaced the light unit and checked the pump, still works.. I've also ordered a replacement cover. Also, relocated the frogs and tadpoles! Filled it about 30% full to make sure it held water. Yes, it did, beautifully. Drained and cleaned again.

Btw, we're planning getting the pool up and running for the summer and after we make sure that everything works ok and there are no surprise leaks, we'll replaster in the fall.

So, not sure where to go next... I think the main drain is clogged with probably dense organic sludge.

I'd like to start filling the pool but feel that I should try to flush out the main drain first.

Is it possible to use the pump on the main drain only with just some water in the bottom of the pool or do I need to fill the entire pool before putting water through the 'Waste' valve on my sand filter? Should I try to back flush using a Drain King or something first?

Can I put the hose directly in the skimmer and pump skimmer water through the 'Waste' valve until clear?

That's enough to get me started, I think... I'd really appreciate any help you guys could provide.
Thanks, Teresa

Here's a thought to the main drain: When I winterize my pool, I use a shop vac at the pump to "blow" the lines clear of water before plugging the lines. Maybe this would work to clear the main drain? I don't think I would want to pull it toward the filter using the pool pump. Good Luck :D

i would take the main drain cover off and stick a waterhose up in there to see if I could flush any gunk. Get all I could.

Then go to the skimmer (if the drainis plumbed to the skimmer) and do it from that way too.
If its plumbed to the equipment pad, thats much better. Do it from there. The drain kings have been known to work well on things like this.

If all else fails, take off the cover of the main drain and put a permenent plug in the main drain pipe hole and put the cover back on and you're done.

They really are not a requirement anyway, especially since you dont have any hydrostatic issues. (dont have one at all in my pool).

Thanks guys -

I've put the hose into the drain as far as it would go. ran until only clear water came back up. The skimmer and main drain are plumbed separately to a tee at the pump. I'll try pushing water back from the pump line into the pool to see if I can get anything out. I don't think that it's completely clogged as we can get a 20' snake through with no problem.

I'll let you know what happens with the flush back.

Picked up a drain king... But I have one question/concern before I try it on the main drain.

I'm imagining several feet if not more of sludge in the main drain pipe. Could be the drain King under pressure may not be able to break through it. If that happens, will the build up of pressure in the line possibly crack the pipe?

Thx.

So, here's an update.

I put the drain King in the drain line going into the pump. Closed the skimmer valve so it should only be pumping from main drain line. One kid Turned the water on slowly while another was stationed at to pool to watch for any effects. I pushed .
the bladder in as far as the tee splitting between the skimmer and drains line. Water just came back out at me at the pump. I couldn't get it to pressurize and expand to seal. No progress. I was able to put the hose running without the bladder directly in the skimmer and pumped out the slimmer line to Waste...

I also tested for any suction with dye at the main drain. No movement was visible.
Not sure what to try next or if I even care. Thinking that I might just plug the main drain and fill the rest of the pool. Maybe work some more on it in the fall just before we replaster.

Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.