How clear is clear during testing?

May 29, 2015
Cincinnati/ohio
I received my TFTest kit about a week ago and have used it several times since but need reassurance I am using it correctly. I have read the extended test kit instructions as well which were very helpful. My biggest question is with the chlorine test.... When adding R-0871 and counting the drops to take the water to clear, it seems as though the water appears clear but (because I'm OCD and study it for so long) it seems to get a pale pink tint within 10-20 seconds. Is this the color I should go by which would require another drop or is it the initial appearance of clear? I read that if it sits for a minute it will turn pink again but I'm not letting it sit for that long, more like 10-20 seconds? It doesn't seem to affect FC too much but could cause my CC reading to be way off if I'm not exact!

Not to worry, you aren't the only one with OCD on this site. We all are. :) First question - did you get the speed stir?

- When I test the chlorine with my TF-100, I simply start counting the R-0871 drops as it's spinning. So already before I put any drops in the vile, it's usually a pretty strong pink color. So now I start counting each full drop. Once I get to the tail-end where's its almost clear, (say 12 drops for example), then the 13th drop makes it crystal clear, I will probably count on the low side (12) x .5 = 6, and use that as my FC level. I'd rather be on the shy side myself to make sure I put enough bleach in the pool.

Does that make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

As for testing the CC, I don't waste a lot of time. I get right into that one within just a few seconds. And that's fine. Just don't wait several minutes before testing the CC.

From what I have read it is the drop that makes it crystal clear that is the last drop counted. So in the above example above it will be 13 not twelve. I can see Tex's reasoning. It is better to think it is 6ppm when it is really 6.5 but not the other way around. Still, I am sure that technically that 13th drop still counts.

You say that it turns light pink after 10-20 seconds. Ignore that. Your looking for the result immediately after you drop and swirl. After a few minutes the sample will turn bright pink again. After 10-20 seconds your just witnessing the beginning of that transformation.

Reference: Pay attention to step #4 Also look at the third note.

Yes! You absolutely make sense! Thank you Tex! No I did not get the speed stir... thinking about it now as it is difficult to add drops and stir at the same time... I don't trust my left hand. lol

As for waiting to test for CC I do not waste time getting the test started, my concern is getting it from pink to clear. I always feel like I see a pink tint. Kinda like the cya test... I feel like I always see the black dot because I know its there. Not sure what I'm seeing or what's in my head.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Steve! I still feel like maybe I'm underestimating my CC. Maybe next time I'll try holding a clear water cylinder next to it to compare. The test kit is easy to use but I still feel can be subjective. I even had my husband do the cya test with me and we didn't necessarily agree.

Steve, I tried that this morning. Just when I thought it was crystal clear I decided to walk around in different light to check and I feel a very slight tint comes back. My question is do I go by the initial color change or the color change I feel it gradually returns to? The extended test instructions say it will return to pink as it sits but I'm not sure how long that is? Am I overthinking it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.