Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algea

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Algea

So everything was going great a few days ago. tested with TF100 for first time ever with these results:
    K1000 Results:
    pH 7.3
    CL 3

TF100 Results:
    FC 5
    CC 0.5
    TC 5.5
    CH 50
    TA 70
    CYA 40

Then I got sick....Didn't touch or look at the pool for 5 days. When I finally did I had a green pool with zero chlorine and 8.2pH. Now after about twelve ours of pump running and added chlorine/muriatic I have FC 4, CC 0, pH7.5 and the pool is cloudy green but looking better. I'm thinking keep chlorine 5+ until clear and run pump continuos (will this hurt my pump?) until pool is clear and green cloud is gone. Does this sound good with my situation?
    What should my next move be?
    Round Frame Pool 15' x 42" (app. 3800 gallons) converted to Krystal Clear 2800 GPH .75 HP (conversion thread Here all the links/info you will need are within), TF100 Test Kit with speed stirrer. My first SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algea

Well, with a small seasonal pool we usually recommend to just dump the water and start over if it goes green. But, it still works to SLAM it, you will just pay for a lot of chlorine.

So, with CYA of 40 your normal target should be 5 - so the shock level you need to hold is 16.

Read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end if you want to go the SLAM route.

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    The water is clear.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Went bad in five days and now I have to slam. I had no idea that would happen in such a short period. A lot easier to just take the five minutes a day and check cl and add a dab. Next time I'm laid up sick I will still find energy/time because this isn't fun.

06/09/2015: 1500
    FC 5
    CC .5
    CYA 50
    Shock FC 20
    Added 70oz 10%

06/09/2015: 1700
    FC 13.5
    CC 0
    Added 33oz 10%

06/09/2015: 2000
    FC 16
    CC 0
    Added 25oz 10%

Pump turned off last night for some reason. Started it back up at about 0400.

06/10/2015: 0800
    FC 13.5
    CC 0
    Added 33oz 10%
    Vacuumed and scrubbed
    Looking less green and more cloudy

06/10/2015: 1000
    FC 22
    CC 0
    Added 5oz 10% due to not being able to monitor again until 1400 or later

06/10/2015: 1200
    FC 19.5
    CC 0
    Added 20oz 10% to bring it past 20 since I won't be back for a while.

06/10/2015: 1700
    FC 12
    CC 0
    Added 40oz 10%

06/10/2015: 1900
    FC 18
    CC 0
    Added 20oz 10%

06/11/2015: 0400
    FC ?
    CC ?
    Added 15oz

06/11/2015: 0800
    FC 23
    CC 0
    Added 0

06/11/2015: 1200
    FC 18
    CC 0
    Added 20oz

06/11/2015: 1700
    FC 9
    CC 0
    added 73oz

06/09/2015: 1500

06/10/2015: 1000

06/10/2015:1700

06/11/2015: 0900
    Still a little cloudy with white floaty stuff
    Last edited by tim5055; 06-10-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Language
    Round Frame Pool 15' x 42" (app. 3800 gallons) converted to Krystal Clear 2800 GPH .75 HP (conversion thread Here all the links/info you will need are within), TF100 Test Kit with speed stirrer. My first SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup, much easier to keep it sanitized from the start.
    No need to keep testing the CYA.
    Just watch your FC and CC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

If it's just green without a whole lot of blown-in debris, it should clear up fast, perhaps even by the weekend, if you're slavishly devoted to maintaining shock level and you brush and vacuum.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I had that same pool back in the day and can attest to the fact that the water got warm REAL fast. Here in the Lone Star state, it's blazin' hot already, so I'm not surprised all your FC burned-off so fast and it turned on you. Hope you and your pool get well soon.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't know how to delete this post......?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Yup, much easier to keep it sanitized from the start.
    No need to keep testing the CYA.
    Just watch your FC and CC.
    Went to pick up more bleach 10% and told the guy what I was doing. He said when vacuuming the bottom a sand filter won't filter out the algae and I need to set it to waste mode. Is this information correct?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dsilchenstedt View Post
    Went to pick up more bleach 10% and told the guy what I was doing. He said when vacuuming the bottom a sand filter won't filter out the algae and I need to set it to waste mode. Is this information correct?
    Not true.

Go read some other green pool threads here and see how often they have to backwash with a sand filter. This one is going on right now. Helping a friend: This should be a good one

You can improve the sand filter's performance some when you get to the final phases by adding DE to it, but the sand filter can clear that no problem.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

Go read some other green pool threads here and see how often they have to backwash with a sand filter. This one is going on right now. Helping a friend: This should be a good one

You can improve the sand filter's performance some when you get to the final phases by adding DE to it, but the sand filter can clear that no problem.
    Thanks Richard for your help and guidance.
    So I have something that some what resembles an oil slick on the surface but it is a thin white particle layer. From what i've been reading it is probably dead algae but not exactly sure. I think the particulates are getting pretty micro and so tomorrow Im going to add DE to my sand in order to filter out the smaller microns a bit better. Scroll up to where I've kept all my adds and photos to get an idea of where I am from where I've come from. I'm pretty proud of it so far and I've documented above fairly well.

Im following that thread now and I'm irritated he hasn't updated more....the suspense is killing me

11. Back To Top    #11

Sad to say, your photos disappeared. I just see the icon but no image.

Green pools often develop a froth when the algae is dying. Looks almost like dishpan suds.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just make sure you can be around to watch the pressure with the DE. I can go up fast while it works.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

The froth ended a while back. Now I have a blue pool with a white cloudiness. On top it has a thin layer that kinda resembles skin oil and a lot of dead skin cells if that works as a description. I'm betting on the DE to help grab this stuff up.

No idea how to fix the photo issue. I'm using dropbox and adding the url. Maybe i should switch over to flicker and try that. Really wish you could see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Just make sure you can be around to watch the pressure with the DE. I can go up fast while it works.

Kim
    Thanks Kim,
    About how long before it balances out and I don't have to worry about it shooting up any more? How long do the affects of the DE infusion last? Is it something that I will have to add every now and again or once it's in it's in until the sand is switch.?.?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by dsilchenstedt View Post
    The froth ended a while back. Now I have a blue pool with a white cloudiness. On top it has a thin layer that kinda resembles skin oil and a lot of dead skin cells if that works as a description. I'm betting on the DE to help grab this stuff up.

No idea how to fix the photo issue. I'm using dropbox and adding the url. Maybe i should switch over to flicker and try that. Really wish you could see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Kim,
    About how long before it balances out and I don't have to worry about it shooting up any more? How long do the affects of the DE infusion last? Is it something that I will have to add every now and again or once it's in it's in until the sand is switch.?.?
    The pressure can shoot up in as little as 15 minutes. And when you backwash, it washes out and you need to add more. Have you read Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

The pressure can shoot up in as little as 15 minutes. And when you backwash, it washes out and you need to add more. Have you read Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    I did. I just don't remember reading anything about how long it lasts or when you need to replace. I knew the pressure could shoot up quick but within in the hour should be stablized and to expect it to go up do to catching smaller particles as well. I didn't recall reading about the backwash washing it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Sad to say, your photos disappeared. I just see the icon but no image.
    I just reposted one photo using flickr. Could you tell me if it is visible or if I need to continue working on my picture issue?

16. Back To Top    #16

I see an emerald green pool just below 06/09/2015: 1500

17. Back To Top    #17

I see an emerald green pool just below 06/09/2015: 1500
    Thank you!! The photos should be back up now.

18. Back To Top    #18

You have made some good progress! The pics sure show the story!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Just wanted to say I appreciate all the guidance. I am kinda glad this happened to me because I learned a lot and more of what I read on this site makes since. I passed all three criteria for completing a SLAM and all has been well. My only issue is my daily chlorine loss is a little bit high but I am dealing with this concern in a new post. So this thread is officially done and my issue resolved!!!