Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Good afternoon good people, and thanks for letting me join you!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Good afternoon good people, and thanks for letting me join you!

Wow, I'm not sure where to even begin! I've been involved in swimming for most of my life as a coach and teacher, but about ten years ago decided to take the plunge and build my own pool. I wanted something that could be used year round, for myself and for my small, but growing USA swim team. So after MUCH research I had an inground 2-lane 25 yard lap pool built in 2007. A year later, the building was built around it, so it is essentially an indoor pool, although we have four double garage doors that can be opened all along one side. I've had some pretty big issues with the Hayward equipment that make me not a very happy Hayward customer, but the expense of the chemicals and upkeep have been daunting so I'm really glad to have found this site, for what I hope will be some guidance. Looking forward to reading and talking with others!
    75'X12' 2-lane IG lap pool built in 2008. 33,000 gallons. Gunite construction with vinyl liner. All equipment is Hayward - cartridge filtration system, Mineral Springs SWG (not currently working - switched to adding chlorine manually), 300,000BTU natural gas pool heater. Also use a 4-panel solar system in summer. Pool is located inside a 25'X100' concrete block building w/natural gas forced air furnace/SIPS roof.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Good afternoon good people, and thanks for letting me join you!

We are happy to have you join us! Feel free to look around and post any questions or concerns you may have. There are a lot of talented folks here with good knowledge who like to help. I suppose we may hear some good things from you as well. Links are below in my signature to assist. Again, welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by swimcoachtdawg
    ...the expense of the chemicals and upkeep have been daunting so I'm really glad to have found this site, for what I hope will be some guidance.
    I think you'll find that in abundance here. I saved over $1,000 in the first full year I managed the pool using the TFP method vs. the more traditional pool-store method. Makes the $68 I invested in the TF-100 seem like a small sum in comparison. Not to mentioned I wound up with a noticeably cleaner pool!

Did some competitive swimming myself back in the day - some in pools, but much of it was open water distance swimming - that seemed to be my sweet-spot event.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! Interesting setup you've got there.

Here is your first Pool School article to make the switch from overpriced pool store stuff to grocery store stuff.
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach