Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Bleach to a Liner Pool - What is the safest Method - is my suggestion good?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Bleach to a Liner Pool - What is the safest Method - is my suggestion good?

All,

What is the safest method of adding bleach to a liner pool to maximize the life of the liner? I have seen different posts, some say to go around the parimeter, some say to pour it over the returns and then sweep...

What about this idea...

With the pump running, adjust the valves to shut out the drain and all skimmers but one, so that one skimmer gets max power. Pour the bleach directly and slowly into the skimmer at a rate of 1 gallon per min or 64oz in 30 seconds. Allow the pool to circulate only pulling from that skimmer for 5 min. After 5 min turn the other skimmers and drains back on. (BTW, I have 3 skimmers, 2 drains with the pool and hot tub).

I would think this would mix with the water best shooting it directly out of the returns. Is there any concern with doing this, could this damage the skimmer or PVC pipes being such a high concentration?

This post is because I read an article on taking care of liners and I know the previous home owner violated that article and so did I until strarting to learn how to take care of the pool from this site.

Thanks all...
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Adding Bleach to a Liner Pool - What is the safest Method - is my suggestion good

Don't pour it into the skimmer. Just pour it slowly in front of the return jet. No need to sweep unless you think you poured it to fast.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Adding Bleach to a Liner Pool - What is the safest Method - is my suggestion good

Slowly pour in front of a return jet ... a quick brushing will help ensure it does not settle.
    We do not recommend pouring anything into the skimmer.

This article explains how to add all the chemicals: Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

..........."We do not recommend pouring anything into the skimmer."

We do DE for a sand filter.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Picky picky, woody

How about:
    We do not recommend pouring anything chemical into the skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, you guys certainly know what you are doing, but I am curious what is the risk to adding directly to the skimmer? I have a seperate post and I am worried that SLAMIng damaged my liner, we poured over the returns for the mostly in the deep end, did not sweep every time however. I just thought that slowly going in the skimmer to the pump and out the jets would get it done more efficiently and safer for the liner...
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

7. Back To Top    #7

Too high of a chlorine concentration for seals and stuff that has any in it mostly.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Too high of a chlorine concentration for seals and stuff that has any in it mostly.
    Humm, yeah, that could be an issue. I am worried more about the PVC and the skimmer, the seals I can replace a lot easier than the liner or the PVC. Is there any concern with the PVC? The liner is only 5 years old and I know the previous owner just threw grannuals straight into the pool every day. Its already looking like it is 10 years old. All wrinkled, faded, stained at the water line, and 3 holes.

9. Back To Top    #9

There are 1000s of liner pool members that have 0 problems following our methods.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    There are 1000s of liner pool members that have 0 problems following our methods.
    no prob, and no arguemnet from me, just looking to understand.

11. Back To Top    #11

If one was to go against the flow of tfp and add it to the skimmer, it would be better to have all the skimmers and drains open so the chlorine is as dilute as possible when it gets to the pump. With only one skimmer running you have a lot higher concentration of chlorine in the lines and not as much flow from the returns to mix with the water. BTW, my liner looks bad too. The previous owner just sprinkled granular shock around the edges. Literally faded solid white in one area. And it continues to get worse on its own despite following tfp to a T.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    If one was to go against the flow of tfp and add it to the skimmer, it would be better to have all the skimmers and drains open so the chlorine is as dilute as possible when it gets to the pump. With only one skimmer running you have a lot higher concentration of chlorine in the lines and not as much flow from the returns to mix with the water. BTW, my liner looks bad too. The previous owner just sprinkled granular shock around the edges. Literally faded solid white in one area. And it continues to get worse on its own despite following tfp to a T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, TFP is the best, saved a ton of money here. They know their stuff, im seeing things and learning... going to have to tell my wife to follow the guidlines in the link jb provided.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, if you drop granules into the pool, it can damage the liner. If the damage is above the water line, that was not likely caused by the standard pool chemicals (IMHO). It was the sun or other other chemical or physical damage. If the pool were left unattended for season/winter, it could have algae, leaf or dirt stains.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100