New pool owner - can't get crystal clear water!

Jun 9, 2015
Malden, MA
Hello everyone! I have been reading the posts for a few weeks now and trying to get acquainted with pool school. I was hoping to solve my pool problem by going through old posts but here I am 4 weeks later. So I am a new pool owner. We bought the house at the end of last summer so the pool was not opened last year, possibly the year before that either. All we knew was the pool had a new liner. Needless to say the pool was a swamp when opened. Since we have no idea what we are doing we paid someone. He came, dumped a whole lot of chemicals in, a few days later the pool was no longer black and was now green. This is where we are 4 weeks later. The company who opened the pool was gonna come back and vacuum because I don't have a vacuum to waste option, he never came back and wouldn't return any of my calls.

About 2 weeks ago we shocked the pool with Bioguard Burnout73. We put about 9 bags of the stuff in, this was after adding about 4 quarts of algeacide Not a whole lot of change. I went to Leslie's Pool a few days ago and they tested the water, apparently I had no chlorine so they suggested I pour about 4 gallons of conditioner in through the skimmer, which I did. Then they suggested I pour in 4 bags of the Burnout73 24 hours later, I poured in 5. I back washed about 48 hours after adding the conditioner. I tested my water today, everything is ok except the hardness (I think that's what it's called) is pretty low. We vacuumed and there seems to be a lot of stuff caked at the bottom so we've been backwashing about 2 times a day. One big problem is my husband seems to think the aquabot junior can work miracles and he's been throwing that thing in there twice and 3 times a day. Yes it cleans but not enough to have the pool up and running in a week.

The water isn't necessarily green, but it looks green, murky and cloudy, probably because of all the stuff sitting at the bottom. When we vacuum it just gets even cloudier. I can see the bottom of the pool at the shallow end and around the edges at the deep end, but I can see nothing at all in the middle of the deep end except green. I'm also afraid the main drain isn't working because there's so much debris caked on top of it. What are my options here? I'm afraid it will be August before I get to enjoy my pool, and I've already spent over $900 to get it up and running. How do I get that clean, clear blue water. PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to TFP!

Step one is to quit going to the pool store.

Step two is to get accurate test results with chlorine levels and CYA levels to determine what kind of shape your pool is in.

I'm already over $900 in (without accounting for the $450 pump we replaced) without using the pool once. Sounds petty but I don't wanna dish out another $100 for a good test kit. All I have right now are the test strips. What's a good (cheap) test kit that will do the trick? One I can pick up in store perhaps? I don't wanna waste 3 to 5 days waiting for it to arrive.

There are no good cheap test kits. You need one of the recommended kits if you want to get the pool clean. I also recommend a leaf net for the deep end. You would have spent far less had you started here first, but we can't go backwards. At least next year you won't spend $900 + opening it.

- - - Updated - - -

We need to get that pool into slam mode to get you fixed, sadly without the right kit no one can tell you what your slam level needs to be.

First, welcome to TFP!
I'm already over $900 in (without accounting for the $450 pump we replaced) without using the pool once. Sounds petty but I don't wanna dish out another $100 for a good test kit. All I have right now are the test strips. What's a good (cheap) test kit that will do the trick? One I can pick up in store perhaps? I don't wanna waste 3 to 5 days waiting for it to arrive.
This is all understandable, but you have already wasted two weeks and $900 to get nowhere. You are looking at a new kit as an expense, but it isn't. It is an investment. It is a way to never have to go to a pool store again. It significantly lowers your operational costs.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself: is it worth $75 and a couple days of shipping to never ever have to spend $900 on your pool again? If the answer is yes, then get the kit and we will help you clear it up and finally be able to use your pool. If not then I wish you luck and hope you get it figured out.

Many of us were in your exact position when we found the Trouble Free Pool website.

This system works because you will learn exactly what you need to do to your pool. No guessing. No expensive trips to the pool store.

Buy a test kit!

The kit will save you money, and put you in control over the pool. I find the best part about using the TFP method is being in control, and knowing what's in my pool.

Unfortunately, the $100 kit is the price of admission but you will no longer need to spend $900 on the wrong answer.

In addition to your test kit... you will need a manual vacuum head, an extending pole (for the vacuum head), vacuum hose and chlorine/bleach.

If the pool is green, you can add some liquid chlorine (from the pool aisle at Walmart or HomeDepot/Lowes)

While you are waiting for your kit, can you fill in you signature with your pool details, or photos of what you have if you can't determine it on your own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.