Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC 1 ppm

1. Back To Top    #1

FC 1 ppm

I did an AA treatment little over a week ago. I had to add gallons of bleach to achieve 3 ppm. Seemed like it held for awhile.

I have a SWG running about 8-9 hours a day with a salt reading of 3800. Today I tested the water and came up with.....FC-1
    CC-.5

Also my CYA is at 70.

What should I do? Shock? Run the SWG longer (it's running at 60%) bump up the %?

Not sure what I should do....
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: FC 1 ppm

You need to check your FC daily. How does your water look?

You also need to add bleach to bring FC up. Your target FC with a CYA of 70 and a SWG pool is 5ppm. I would add enough bleach to get to 7ppm.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You probably have an algae bloom coming on. If your water is not crystal clear you will likely need to SLAM.
    What test kit do you have?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

The water is crystal clear.....so you think I should add enough bleach to reach 7 ppm? Yeah I guess the SWG can't keep up.

I was wondering if the asorbic acid is still eating up my FC? Since the CC is only .5 I didn't think I needed to shock/ Slam

Taylor test kit
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

4. Back To Top    #4

Lisa is correct. It's not all that uncommon to see TFP'ers augment their SWG with a little bleach from time to time. Especially if you let FC drop too low at one point. Get it back up ASAP to keep your water healthy and hope nothing tried to grow when it dropped. Are you using the Taylor K2006?

- - - Updated - - -

With crystal clear water, consider adding enough bleach to take you slightly over your normal target FC level just to give it a little boost of recovery after being low. If the water clarity changes, or something seems odd in your pool, then you can also do the OCLT.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thanks... Water looks great but a little something going on I guess

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I think once FC is raised and stays above target level it will all be good.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I went from 6 ppm last night to 4 ppm 24 hours later. Cya of 70 and hot today high of 85 and sunny all day. Water looks crystal clear.

Do you think I need to slam? That's a lot of bleach for a cya of 70.

Could it be chlorine loss because of the hot sun or do you think I have something going on?

8. Back To Top    #8

Only one way to tell for sure.

Make sure your SWG is turned off during this test.

OCLT Directions

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I loose about 3ppm of FC in 24hours with my SWG turned off the entire time.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok I thought that was next move. This all happened after I did AA treatment. I used a qt of poly quat but I guess it wasn't enough.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok did over nite test. Lost only .5

I'm a little concerned about my SWG not being able to keep up at 60%. Only had cell for 2 years