Recommended Chemical Levels

May 26, 2015
Berlin, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am currently waiting on my FAS DPD to be delivered. In the mean time I have decided to get my water tested at the local pool store (assuming it must be better than the strips that I have). My test results were as folows:
CYA: 0
Total Chlorine 9.2
Free Chlorine 8.2
PH 7.7
Total Alkalinity 98
Adjusted Alkalinity 98
Total Hardness 74
I had a small amount of iron (0.3) and copper (0.1) but the store owner said that it was so little and not to worry about it. He recommended that I increase my Alkalinity and hardness, decrease my pH, add stabalizer and algecide, and continue shocking my pool until it is clear.
Thoughts?
IMG_20150609_134704.jpg

Pool Store's advice is not too far off what we would suggest but the test results we would really like confirmed with your testing. Do you know when your kit will be in? Your Pool will clear very nicely.....it's not too bad.

We will probably suggest leaving everything alone except for CYA but let's see what your tests yield.

Wait for your test kit.

Nothing in those numbers points to a dire need to do anything.
The TA is fine, BTW, if not a little high.
Forget the algaecide.
You likely need stabilizer as hopefully they could at least get a 0 value correct.

The test kit should be in by Friday, or Tuesday the latest. I added some CYA. Pumps been running 24/7 since I changed the sand last Thursday. We just bought this house and the previous owner was not available to go over the pool with us. But we are learning. This is what we started with two weeks ago:
image.jpg
Took out several garbage bags full of leaves and pine needles with a pool rake. My friend brought over his bot to pick up the rest. It's been project.

Hi,
all you need is the proper dose of chlorine and maintain that chlorine level until the pool is clear. You dont need any algaecide for a couple of reaons.
1. It doesnt kill algae
2. Most algaecides contain copper, and copper can leave stains on the pool surface and turn blonde hair green.
Chlorine is as good as algaecide as there is. Keep your chlorine level properly, and you will never have algae again.

you need a good test kit in order do know what the fC (and other), levels are so that you know how much chlorine to add in order to clear the pool.
Its a sad truth that pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate.

for a 19K gallon pool, it wouldnt hurt anything if you were to add about 3/4 gallon of regular (no fancy scents or splashless) concentrated bleach to the pool while you are waiting for the test kit to arrive. It wont make things any better, but may help in preventing it from getting any worse for a few days.

Your FC level does not make sense. If you used 10ml of water, then it is a multiple of 0.5ppm

That CYA is pretty high and life would be easier if you replaced half the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As for cya, I keep getting different readings. 80 then 40... I think I need practice.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so I've gotten 40 twice. I'm going to say I probably screwed up on my first test. 40 makes more sense because over half of my pool is straight from the tap. And I put stabilizer in but had to backwash the same day so most likely lost some chemicals, which was probably a good thing.

So so should I just wait for my filter to catch up? Sounds like my chemicals might be okay?

I changed my sand a week and a half ago and have been adding DE after every backwash. my FC has stayed very high. It was at 15ppm this afternoon and I haven't added chlorine in 5 days. My combined chlorine is <.5.

CC is usually .5 or less for the last week. I've been keeping the pool at shock level for the most part. I didn't check it for a couple days. Was not home. Level dropped to 15ppm from 20ppm but we had full sun for three days. I shocked it again tonight and it should be at around 22ppm when everything circulates. My plan is to keep shocking until it is clear.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no where to be for the next week so plenty of time to babysit the pool until it sparkles.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought about putting in my pool robot (dolphin nautilus) to help the filter out, but I'm concerned about the high chlorine levels. What do you think?

At shock level the active chlorine level is about 10 times more harsh than maintenance levels. So having the cleaner in for 1 day would do the equivalent damage of the cleaner being the pool 10 days at normal levels.

BTW, even at shock level, the active chlorine level is likely less than you would encounter in a public pool with no CYA in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.