Pool chemistry

Jul 13, 2014
Memphis/MI
I live in Michigan and just opened my pool (20x40 gunite) last Friday by adding @ 7,000 gallons of fresh water. My pool has a capacity of @ 35,000 gallons. I've vacuumed the pool and replace the 4 filter elements and added 6 gallons of 12.5% chlorine for the past four days. The following are my current chemistry levels; FC - 1.0, CC - 2.5, PH - 7.2, CYA - 0, TA - 130 and my CH @ 700. The water is clear. I would appreciate any recommendations on next steps. Dan

Hello Dan. Here's what I see (others will follow):
1 - Get stabilizer in there ASAP to increase your CYA shoot about 40 (use sock method)
2 - With no CYA, your free chlorine will go fast. Consider putting enough regular liquid bleach in there to stay at 2ppm readings until CYA can protect higher FC of 5 or so.
3 - Seeing that your CC is 2.5, you may need to perform a SLAM in the near future (link below), but your CYA needs to get up to 30 first.

Just so I'm clear. I should add about 12 # of powered stabilizer to increase the CYA level and also add liquid chlorine to get the FC level up to 2ppm ASAP. The pool calculator calls for 187oz of stabilizer, just under 12#, and 487oz of liquid chlorine to raise the CYA. the reason I'm asking is that I've been putting in 6 gallons of chlorine (768oz) over the past four days and the CYA is still 0. Dan

Just so I'm clear. I should add about 12 # of powered stabilizer to increase the CYA level and also add liquid chlorine to get the FC level up to 2ppm ASAP. The pool calculator calls for 187oz of stabilizer, just under 12#, and 487oz of liquid chlorine to raise the CYA. the reason I'm asking is that I've been putting in 6 gallons of chlorine (768oz) over the past four days and the CYA is still 0. Dan
If you are using liquid chlorine the only thing that will raise CYA is to add stabilizer. Adding pure chlorine adds nothing but chlorine.

I would follow Texas Splash's advise, then SLAM the pool before whatever is brewing in there gets worse.

Dom

Yes Dan, just focus on the stabilizer to 40ppm and only 2ppm of chlorine (bleach) for now. The reason being is that even if you tried to put more bleach in (i.e to hit your ideal FC) your pool can't hold it. It doesn't have the CYA to protect it. So just get that sock full of stabilizer in there for now (squeeze it from time to time) and make sure you keep at least 2ppm FC in the pool (the sun will take it fast), but do your best to stay on it. Once your CYA is back p to the 30s - 40s, you can start increasing the FC to your ideal target level and the pool will hold it better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.