Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool chemistry

I live in Michigan and just opened my pool (20x40 gunite) last Friday by adding @ 7,000 gallons of fresh water. My pool has a capacity of @ 35,000 gallons. I've vacuumed the pool and replace the 4 filter elements and added 6 gallons of 12.5% chlorine for the past four days. The following are my current chemistry levels; FC - 1.0, CC - 2.5, PH - 7.2, CYA - 0, TA - 130 and my CH @ 700. The water is clear. I would appreciate any recommendations on next steps. Dan
    35K gallons, IG 20x40 rectangular Gunnite, resurfaced 2009, Cart filter (4 elements), Pentair 1 HP main pump model CX, Pentair 250M heater, Polaris pool vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool chemistry

Hello Dan. Here's what I see (others will follow):
    1 - Get stabilizer in there ASAP to increase your CYA shoot about 40 (use sock method)
    2 - With no CYA, your free chlorine will go fast. Consider putting enough regular liquid bleach in there to stay at 2ppm readings until CYA can protect higher FC of 5 or so.
    3 - Seeing that your CC is 2.5, you may need to perform a SLAM in the near future (link below), but your CYA needs to get up to 30 first.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what Texas said
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Use the poolmath calculator (link below) to figure out exactly how much stabilizer and/or chlorine to add. If you have more questions, just ask.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just so I'm clear. I should add about 12 # of powered stabilizer to increase the CYA level and also add liquid chlorine to get the FC level up to 2ppm ASAP. The pool calculator calls for 187oz of stabilizer, just under 12#, and 487oz of liquid chlorine to raise the CYA. the reason I'm asking is that I've been putting in 6 gallons of chlorine (768oz) over the past four days and the CYA is still 0. Dan
    35K gallons, IG 20x40 rectangular Gunnite, resurfaced 2009, Cart filter (4 elements), Pentair 1 HP main pump model CX, Pentair 250M heater, Polaris pool vacuum.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DAN1925 View Post
    Just so I'm clear. I should add about 12 # of powered stabilizer to increase the CYA level and also add liquid chlorine to get the FC level up to 2ppm ASAP. The pool calculator calls for 187oz of stabilizer, just under 12#, and 487oz of liquid chlorine to raise the CYA. the reason I'm asking is that I've been putting in 6 gallons of chlorine (768oz) over the past four days and the CYA is still 0. Dan
    If you are using liquid chlorine the only thing that will raise CYA is to add stabilizer. Adding pure chlorine adds nothing but chlorine.

I would follow Texas Splash's advise, then SLAM the pool before whatever is brewing in there gets worse.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes Dan, just focus on the stabilizer to 40ppm and only 2ppm of chlorine (bleach) for now. The reason being is that even if you tried to put more bleach in (i.e to hit your ideal FC) your pool can't hold it. It doesn't have the CYA to protect it. So just get that sock full of stabilizer in there for now (squeeze it from time to time) and make sure you keep at least 2ppm FC in the pool (the sun will take it fast), but do your best to stay on it. Once your CYA is back p to the 30s - 40s, you can start increasing the FC to your ideal target level and the pool will hold it better.