New Member~ and Question

CrozB

Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
Annapolis, MD
Hello,

I'm a new member and owner of a T-100 test kit! Our pool is 3 years old and I'm ready to take over complete care. I'm leery and confused at the water test readings from pool store and decided it's my responsibility. This is my first post...wanted to introduce myself and my pool readings.

PH- 7.5
FC- 3
CC- 1
TC- 4
TA- 100
CH- 225
CYA-10

We have had alot of rain in the past 3 days, so this explains my CYA reading. I currently have a sock of 2 lbs. stabilizer in the skimmer.
I have 2 questions:
  1. I'm concerned about my CC reading. is there something I should do about this? Pool store scared me with the term" chlorine lock". I'm still learning about CC's.
  2. My levels aren't within the ranges suggested, but they are close. Do I wait until next weeks test to verify readings or adjust now?

Thanks for your time and knowledge!

Hi there Cruz! welcome to TFP. I lived in Annapolis for the past 5 years before relocating back to Florida.

well the really really good news is that you don't have astronomical high CYA levels. we see that a lot, and its a pain to deal with (partial drain and refill). so good news there.

now onto your test results.

the TF-100 cannot measure below 30ppm,. so you cant confirm a reading of 10. it is low, so go to pool math, assume CYA of 10 and figure out how much to add to get to 30ppm. then retest in a week and see where you are at, but don't want to overshoot it. eventually CYA will need to go higher for a saltwater pool, but don't want to raise it all the way until we confirm you don't need to SLAM. if you do need to SLAM, a CYA of around 30 is perfect. you added 2 lbs of stabilizer, but per pool math, that only increases your CYA by 9ppm. you need to double that.

your other numbers look great.

Next step, add the stabilizer to get to 30ppm. with your CC readings at 1ppm, it indicates you probably have algae, so we need to test via the OCLT. raise your FC to about 10ppm (by adding chlorine to the pool based on current FC to target FC in pool math). then once it gets dark outside, take a FC reading. then first thing in the morning test it again before the sun comes up. If you FC drops by more than 1ppm, you have an algae issue that needs to get cleaned up via the SLAM

also, the rain doesn't affect your pool chemistry unless you are getting tons of rain and your pool is constantly overflowing and being refilled by rain water. Rain doesn't consume FC, CYA, etc. all it does is dilute your pool volume. rain can affect pH slightly but wouldn't worry about it.

CC will burn off, don't worry about that. its more important to kill the algae that is causing CC to show up.

the term chlorine lock is total bullspit garbage. its a term used by the pool store people when they cant explain why you have algae, and typically its because they don't understand the relationship between CYA and FC. they prescribe tons of dry shock and tablets which drives the CYA so far up that it requires a high level of FC...but the pool store cant test for CYA, so they see a FC of 6 and algae and throw up their hands and say 'chlorine lock". in reality they drove the CYA up so far that your FC needs to be around 20ppm.

the answer to no algae is simple...keep your FC levels above your minimum per your CYA and it cant start growing. once you get the pool established and sanitized you will never need to shock again.

Thank You for your help!

Mr Bruce replied "I hope you test FC more often than once a week" Yes, of course. FC and PH! Per T100 instructions.

DaninFLA replied:
"you added 2 lbs of stabilizer...you need to double that"
Just added 2 more lbs of stabilizer, per pool math and you into skimmer.
"CC readings at 1ppm, it indicates you probably have algae" algae is not visible, but I don't like that reading of 1 (scares me)
"raise your FC to about 10ppm"- Per pool math, I am to add 181 oz. bleach- I only have 96 oz. handy. I put SWG in 100% boost mode. Will this suffice?

Florida is wonderful! Have family south of Daytona in New Smyrna Beach!

Thank You!

Thank You for your help!

Mr Bruce replied "I hope you test FC more often than once a week" Yes, of course. FC and PH! Per T100 instructions.

DaninFLA replied:
"you added 2 lbs of stabilizer...you need to double that"
Just added 2 more lbs of stabilizer, per pool math and you into skimmer.
"CC readings at 1ppm, it indicates you probably have algae" algae is not visible, but I don't like that reading of 1 (scares me)
"raise your FC to about 10ppm"- Per pool math, I am to add 181 oz. bleach- I only have 96 oz. handy. I put SWG in 100% boost mode. Will this suffice?

Florida is wonderful! Have family south of Daytona in New Smyrna Beach!

Thank You!

algae can be present without seeing the yellow/green stuff. usually starts with pool being a bit cloudy. CC is formed when FC oxidizes with algae/organics...the presense of CC indicates you probably have algae...but I would do the overnight chlorine loss test first thing.

need to get some more bleach, its always good to have around. I have SW system too, but add bleach after having lots of people in the pool and need quick boost. for now, do the test tonight and add the entire bottle of bleach after sundown. run the pump for minimum 30 minutes and test FC. make sure your SWCG is not running tonight, then test FC first thing tomorrow. that will tell you if you have an algae bloom starting

SWCG is great for maintaining your FC, but not for big increases in FC. besides you want to minimize your pump run time as low as possible, and when its not running, no FC being made. and running it at 100% will degrade the lifespan of the cell

I only run my pump for 5 hours a day, and its enough to generate enough FC and keep the pool crystal clear

Dan's got you covered but did want to welcome you and say howdy "neighbor". Hope you stick around. My pool water is incredible since switching to TFP methods.

Oh, next time you add stabilizer use the sock method instead of adding to the skimmer. It's ok that you did that - it's just that if you have to backwash then you will loose some of the stabilizer that hasn't dissolved yet.

Target has the best deal on bleach that I've found in the area except for Ollie's Pool Shock. But when I was in Ollie's last week they were already out and I don't know if they'll get more in. Make sure you buy regular bleach - not scented, not splashless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.