Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump sucking air

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump sucking air

Good Morning.

Trying to help my neighbor out. His pump is sucking air from someplace. I would assume leak in skimmer line. The pool is not losing water. The company that opened the pool said they pressure tested the line and it passed. I would assume you would see a little spray of water if it were the lid/gasket. That appears to be dry.

I would assume a problem with the sand filter vari-flo valve would not cause air in the pump strainer.

Thought about running some pvc back to the pump and connecting it to see if the problem is resolved, but it will be a pain in the ***. Suction side has no unions and goes pvc to poly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there's more details I can give.

Rstandi

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump sucking air

Quote Originally Posted by rstandi View Post
    Good Morning.

Trying to help my neighbor out. His pump is sucking air from someplace. I would assume leak in skimmer line. The pool is not losing water. The company that opened the pool said they pressure tested the line and it passed. I would assume you would see a little spray of water if it were the lid/gasket. That appears to be dry.
    Not so. The pump strainer is on the suction side. It will draw air in but won't shoot water out. Maybe not even when the pump is off.
    I would assume a problem with the sand filter vari-flo valve would not cause air in the pump strainer.

Thought about running some pvc back to the pump and connecting it to see if the problem is resolved, but it will be a pain in the ***. Suction side has no unions and goes pvc to poly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there's more details I can give.

Rstandi
    Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good Morning.

Rstandi
    You won't see water dripping out of a suction leak. The pump is sucking air in through the hole.

You can try shaving cream near suspect areas and see if it gets sucked in. Another method is to spray water from a hose over it and see if the air bubbles disappear or lessen.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't forget to check and lubricate the drain plugs on the pump as well as the basket o-ring
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's the TFP link just incase you need it: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Would you all agree, that if water is not leaking from the pool, the skimmer line is probably intact?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Would you all agree, that if water is not leaking from the pool, the skimmer line is probably intact?
    If you mean the underground part of the skimmer line back to the pump I would tend to agree with that. Most all suction side leaks are found above ground.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

A leak in the below grade skimmer piping would probably not leak with the pump running, but would leak with the pump off. How often is the pump running? If his pump is running a lot the leakage may be not be noticeable. Can you isolate the skimmer line? If so, I would plug it at the skimmer and valve it off at the pump, wait 24 hours then remove the plug in the skimmer. If air bubbles out of the skimmer as the line refills, you have a leak. If no air comes out, your line did not drain and held water thus no leak (or the leak is at a high spot of the buried line).

Good luck.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool Tool, I had one last winter where the leak was in the elbow fitting below the skimmer, symptoms started out with the pump loosing prime when using manual vacuum hose, then started to show as loss of water from the pool, eventually getting bad enough that the pump would just suck air and not prime.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

10. Back To Top    #10

Isaac - I am very aware of your's. I believe it was a dwv fitting that eventually blew out right? I mimicked your fix-a-leak procedure on my skimmer line this spring and so far so good. I read your history intently and learned immensely from your trials - thanks for posting! My lines transition from pvc above grade to black poly below grade. At the pump, I excavated and inspected that transition and it was leak free. I assume my leak is at the transition on the skimmer itself. Obviously it could be in the pipe but I would suspect the transition would be more likely. The builder used a barb fitting, silicone and band clamps for the transition(s). Like you, I noticed an increase in 'bubbles' while vacuuming and water loss after that. Both got increasingly worse last year as the season wore on to the point where vacuuming via the skimmer was futile.

I figured the Marliq product was a last attempt before breaking up concrete for a permanent repair. It has been about a month now and no leaks. I have yet to vacuum manually through the skimmer. I have an extra suction inlet at the pump inlet where I hook up the vac hose. It works, but its inconvenient to stop the pump, hook up hose then reprime. Ultimately I will use the skimmer again, but I am hesitant to stress the repair.

Again thank you for posting your original adventure and to this so I can show my appreciation to you for the information/help you provided.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Just my 2 cents. Have you checked the male fitting going into the pump pot? Here in SoCal it's really common. Simple to diagnose. Temporarily put plumbers putty around the inlet, add water, and start up. It will be obvious if that's the problem.

12. Back To Top    #12

Working on it right now. Just sent him to get a new lid and o-ring. (That would be to easy, right...) The basket drain plug is gone and has been filled with some type of putty. don't see air coming up from the bottem of the basket. The top 2 inches of the basket won't fill. The front inlet is somewhat suspect. that will be the next place to check. then the pvc to black poly about a foot below ground

Thanks for all the help

Rstandi

- - - Updated - - -

Should I put the putty around the outside of the pump where it threads?

rstandi

13. Back To Top    #13

My findings thus far, are a little unbelievable. My neighbor payed a local pool company to open his pool. $750 later, Still was sucking air. The threaded inlet was covered with pipe putty. So much it was amazing. No Teflon tape... The pool guy found a piece of black poly split and replaced it with pvc. The problem is that he cut the black poly at a crazy angle. He then smeared it with pipe dope of some king and put it together. I did not even need to heat it to pull it apart. I'm hoping 1 of these 2 is the problem. He has a broken drain bolt in the basket, but it has been filled with some product. don't see bubbles coming from the bottom. Here are some pictures...IMG_2652.jpgIMG_2651.jpg

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, after replacing this mess, things are running at 85%. His pump is a Leslies Hydramax II. The basket lid is circular and curved like a dome. We got a new lid which did not change anything. I see air circulating in the dome. Pretty sure this is still not right. My superpump has no air up against the lid. You can also hear air in the filter and air bubble come out the returns. The pump is holding suction, though. Like I said, operation is dramatically better, just still not right. The only piece we have not addressed is the Drain plug on the basket. It has some type of putty covering the opening and I am just afraid of sealing the basket back if the threads are screwed up.

Thanks
    rstandi

15. Back To Top    #15

I just want to wish you good luck, and I am always amazed at what some of these so called professionals will do.