Tired of paying too much !!

Jun 9, 2015
Whiteville NC
Good morning all ! I am a pool owner and have been since 1994. I currently have a 30' X 52" above ground pool. I have had this one for going on 11 years and don't really have an issues to report at this time but would love to find a less expensive way of maintaining it during the pool season. I live in Southeastern NC so our pool season usually runs from May to sometimes Sept / Oct. From buying store bough PH Up / PH Down, buckets and buckets of chlorine and weekly shock treatments - it can get kinda expensive. I already use the large bags of baking soda and muriatic acid to adjust my PH and am looking forward to finding out some other secrets of the trade to maintain a pool and saving money...... Have a great day all ! :cool:

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Well, the biggest secret is to stay away form the pool stores and their free testing. It's really not free.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

Welcome, neighbor! You may find your cheapest source of chlorine right there at Hills..... or, maybe Ollies, in MB. +1 on the testing kit advice.

[Edit]
You might be having problem with pH, if your TA is off. Please post all of your numbers and we might save a ton of money, there.
[/Edit]

Last edited:
Welcome :wave:

You came to the right place. It sounds like a roller coaster with all the talk about pH adjustment, and baking Soda/Soda Ash. That shouldn't be something you have to do all the time. Chances are you'll save a lot of money with your own testing and control. Good to have you aboard!