Quick question

Jun 7, 2015
Bessemer,Mi
If I maintain my free chlorine at all times. At least above minimum required
Will I ever have an algae issue? I can't imagine I would

also. If I am maintaining my pools ph and FC. I should never need
slam throughout the summer. Correct?

While we can never say "never", yes - if you maintain your FC above the minimum based on your CYA level you should never get an algae bloom.

No, you only need to SLAM if you have an issue (cloudy pool/visible algae).

Where pepople get in trouble is that they become complacent. Tabs are easy and they just start using them all the time, not accounting for the rise in CYA. Soon they are not keeping sufficient chlorine in the water. They skip looking at the pool for a couple of days and boom, it's green.

You are in the good position of dumping all your water and starting over if you have an issue

Ok. Thanks. I'm anal about stuff so I should be ok.
My cya is LOW as I haven't even gone through a puck yet. I use bleach
for maintains levels. Puck to help and to raise my CYA up. All seems ok so far
but hasn't had any hard swimming temps only at 65 and has been covered a lot

Well, one puck should raise your CYA about 11, so 5 pucks gets you to the mid 50's. A little slow to get there, but it will work. I have 4 pucks floating in my pool now to bring the CYA up a tad.

For those of us that have followed the TFP method for several years, it seems the only time an algae event happens is when something major goes wrong, such as storm water entering pool, or possibly an equipment failure where there is not enough circulation for a prolonged period.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.