Best speed to run my pool pump

May 4, 2015
Waterloo, Ontario
I have a Sta-rite Intellipro variable speed pump and I am trying to determine the most efficient speed while not sacrificing the filtering of the water.

My pool is 18x36 and I have approximately 35-40 feet of head water and approx. 30,000 Gallons of water, I am trying to determine the best speed to get 1 full turnover per day.
Currently I have the speed set at 1800rpm from 7pm-7am off peak electricity rates. Should I be running at a higher speed for a shorter period of time or lower speed for a longer period.

Based on these numbers approximately how many gallons am I filtering @1800rpm during the 12 hours ?

Thanks for your help !

Turnover is not applicable to residential pools.

I usually run my VS pump at 1100 rpm which provides good skimming action and enough flow to run my SWG. My pump uses 150 watts of electricity at 1100 rpm. We have lots of trees so when the trees are busy I run my pump 24x7 to keep the debris in the skimmers and off the bottom of the pool. I usually run my pump at least 12 hours per day with my SWG on a low percentage to spread out the amount of time I am making chlorine and to keep skimming up. That is how I do it for my situation.

Your goal should be to run your pump at the lowest possible speed for the least possible time and have your pool be clean. Some folks here only run their pump 1-2 hours per day. First, determine what the lowest speed is that you can run your pump and still have your skimmer(s) work and SWG, if you have one. My number was 900 rpm, I bumped it up a little to ccount for the filter getting dirty and give it some wiggle room. If you can set two start/stop times I would try running it from 7p-10p and 4a-7a and see what happens. If it is clean then drop it to 2 hrs each time and see.

Also, please add your pool info to your sig to help us help you, as shown here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.