Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Normal" FC loss during daylight hours

1. Back To Top    #1

"Normal" FC loss during daylight hours

I know there is probably not a "normal" amount of FC loss over the course of daylight hours due to different issues. However, is a loss from 12.5 at noon to 6.4 at 10pm too much? We did have significant and multiple thunderstorms yesterday afternoon. I'm told that has an effect on chlorine? I'm too new at this ...
    22,000 gal 16x34, IG, vinyl (7/14)
    DE Hayward Perflex extended cycle
    Hayward Super Pump
    Aquacal heat pump
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "Normal" FC loss during daylight hours

The first question is what is the CYA level. With no or little CYA then it could be normal. Most well balanced pool average 2 to 3 ppm a day. Storms have little effect on pool chemistry.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

3. Back To Top    #3

I would say that while that much of a loss can be "explained", it's not what we call normal or ideal. As noted above, that's too much to be losing each day, but without knowing your current CYA (stabilizer) level, we can't really answer that question. Do you have either the TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit to test CYA for yourself? If so, let us know what it is, otherwise, you really need one of those kits to check yourself. Cheers!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

This morning's numbers:
    FC: 5.2
    CC: 1 (I know not good -- addressed on another thread)
    pH: 7.5
    CH: 500 (I know too high)
    TA: 110
    CYA: 60
    22,000 gal 16x34, IG, vinyl (7/14)
    DE Hayward Perflex extended cycle
    Hayward Super Pump
    Aquacal heat pump
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Aside from the Stabilizer (Cya) level being low the only other things getting your Chlorine are organics in the water. Rain has very little effect on pool chemistry. Very little unless we are talking about many, many, repeated inches of rainfall.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Aside from the Stabilizer (Cya) level being low the only other things getting your Chlorine are organics in the water. Rain has very little effect on pool chemistry. Very little unless we are talking about many, many, repeated inches of rainfall.
    I'm confused. I thought a CYA of 60 would be considered high for a non-SWG pool?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

Quote Originally Posted by Jkpharm View Post
    This morning's numbers:
    FC: 5.2
    CC: 1 (I know not good -- addressed on another thread)
    pH: 7.5
    CH: 500 (I know too high)
    TA: 110
    CYA: 60
    If your CYA is indeed 60, you should be targeting a FC of 7-8ppm, 5ppm would be the minimum.

As stated, a CC of 1ppm shows that something nasty is brewing.

I would SLAM at 24ppm. Ideally you should drain 30-50% of the pool and refill to lower that CYA first, if you can get to CYA 30 you can cut the shock level in half (12ppm vs 24ppm).

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

8. Back To Top    #8

CYA of 60 is considered high for a non-SWG pool.

I believe Partick's response was to your original post and he was saying that a low level of CYA can cause a high amount of chlorine loss in a day.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
    This is not a simple plot and I think it might be confusing to a new member ... they will not know the difference between a FC ppm and how to get the ppm Cl2 which is what the lines represent.
    In fact, the more I look at it, the more I am getting myself confused by it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

60 is high for a Non Salt pool. I was merely making a statement of fact about day time loss.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    60 is high for a Non Salt pool. I was merely making a statement of fact about day time loss.
    OK, I understand. I guess it was the fact that the post was made right after the OP posted his numbers that made me think you were referring directly to the CYA=60 info.

Sorry for any confusion I might have created.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!