Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump not starting

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump not starting

My pump refuses to start today, it has been running fine for over a month. I tried turning it on from the service panel as well. It was hot when i touched it. How do i go about diagnosing the problem ? I am about a month old to owning a pool.

15K gal, IG (I think its Vinyl not sure), 2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair DE filter, SWG Hayward Aqua rite controller with t-cell-15, Aqualink RS6, Jandy Spa side 4-button, Polaris 280, 400K Pentair Minimax NT Heater Propane, test kit TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump not starting

I will ask a few questions that might help the experts when they arrive. Is the pump humming or making any noise? Is the pump plugged into or wired to a GFCI that might need to be reset?
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

How old is the motor/pump?
    Was it running prior to it doing this?
    How hot is the ambient air temp around the motor? Shade?
    Filter pressure? Too high, normal?

Motors commonly have a thermal overload shutdown device built into them to prevent burning them up. Unfortunately, hot to the touch is not a good indicator as the human hand has a fairly low threshold of pain for heat. Just the sun beating down on a black colored case can get one hot enough to not touch yet the motor will run fine. It sounds though like it is a thermal overload that should reset once it is cool.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

The pump is not humming or making any noise. I will check on the GFCI. But i dont think power to pump is the issue, because all the lights on the service panel lifght up and my polaris pool cleaner still works

15K gal, IG (I think its Vinyl not sure), 2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair DE filter, SWG Hayward Aqua rite controller with t-cell-15, Aqualink RS6, Jandy Spa side 4-button, Polaris 280, 400K Pentair Minimax NT Heater Propane, test kit TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

The motor is from 2004, i believe. I am not sure though. Its in the high nineties past few days here in Austin. There is no excess debris around the pump, just some grass

6. Back To Top    #6

My Hayward Super Pump hums slightly before it fires up. My pool dealer told me it has internal and external start capacitors. If these go out it will quit working.
    16 x 32 inground liner pool - surrounded by concrete deck. Built 1984. Liner last replaced 2012. 4 foot deep on shallow end and 9 foot deep on other end with diving board. Hayward 1 horse Super Pump. Hayward S244S High rate sand filter with side plumbed Vari-Flo Valve. Located in Cleveland, TN.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a home appliance warranty from first american home warranty, i was reading in their paperwork that pool pumps are covered, i will have to pay $60 for a service call and they pay for parts and repair. Do you think i should call them ? I bought this house 2 months ago and it came with this salt water pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like a good deal..........it would cost at least that much to get the motor rebuilt. New ones are $300-400.
    16 x 32 inground liner pool - surrounded by concrete deck. Built 1984. Liner last replaced 2012. 4 foot deep on shallow end and 9 foot deep on other end with diving board. Hayward 1 horse Super Pump. Hayward S244S High rate sand filter with side plumbed Vari-Flo Valve. Located in Cleveland, TN.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, it is a good deal. But you know how the insurance industry is, i am sure they will find some clause to not cover it. Also if its something minor like replacing a capacitor maybe i can do it myself and save the 60 bucks. The insurance guys will take 3 to 4 days until they send somebody out, my pool would have turned green by then

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

To keep your pool from turning green you can manually add bleach and brush it get some circulation. I know your next question is how much bleach, and to answer that we need to know the volume of the pool, your CYA level, and the current FC and CC levels.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Pay the $60 and let them do it. Well worth it......
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

I tried turning it ON today, after giving it 12 hours of rest. It made a humming sound as if it was trying to start but then it did not start and the humming sound stopped after a clicking sound. I reset all the fuse switches, opened and cleaned out the pump filter basket. Tried to start, it still does not start. Its 95 degrees right now. I have filed a claim with home appliance warranty, lets see how long they take to send somebody out

13. Back To Top    #13

This is a pentair whisperflow 2 HP. I saw a date which said dec 2008.