Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocked pool, water clear, now chlorine level too high. How to reduce quickly?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocked pool, water clear, now chlorine level too high. How to reduce quickly?

First, thank you for always giving helpful advice, so appreciated. I had cloudy water left from algae after start-up. Consulted pool math and forum so shocked the pool with bleach. Added per pool math, said 128 oz. in my case, but chlorine level shot up to 22 after shocking on Saturday. Stayed there until today, Monday, down to 18. Water is clear now.

I need to cover the pool with a solar blanket to help warm the water temp. (at 70 today), but believe it best if sun can burn off chlorine by keeping it uncovered. Here are my numbers from today:
    FC 18; TA 370; CYA 45-50; PH 8.2 These were the only tests I did today.

Family wants to swim Friday or Saturday. Questions:

1. How fast will addition of one of the suggested chemicals work to lower the chlorine? Is it hours, days?
    2. If hours, then I would assume best course of action is to vacuum and run my pump early every morning between now and Friday, then, cover the pool during the afternoon and evening, without running the SWG. I can test again each day before I cover the pool to see if chlorine is going down.
    3. Friday, I can add the chemicals to lower chlorine if needed??
    what do you think of this plan?
    Last edited by Jabo; 06-08-2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Added that water is clear now
    18"X48" Intex Ultra Pool; AG; 6424 gal; instal 5-26-14
    First time pool owner; NW IL
    Krystal Clear Model 635 Filter Pump-Cartridge A; 1500 gal/hr
    Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110 added

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocked pool, water clear, now chlorine level too high. How to reduce quickly?

There's no problem. Shock level for 50 CYA is 20 FC. You're already below that. It's safe to swim now.

Leave the cover off tomorrow and shut off the SWG and you'll probably be down below 10 by sunset. Then you can test pH and deal with it if it needs it, and recover the pool to warm up before the weekend.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Shocked pool, water clear, now chlorine level too high. How to reduce quickly?

OK, I did notice my hand burned after having it in the pool at 22 chlorine level, guess I'm being overly cautious now. I have not covered the pool or ran the SWG at all since Saturday. I do have trees, so have been working hard to keep the seeds and leaves out of the pool. I thought their presence might help to lower the chlorine, but it has been stubbornly staying high and not dropping quickly: Sat @ 22, Sunday @ 22, and just down to 18 today.

If, for any reason, I have to add something to lower it, how long does it take for that to work, please? Thanks for the info.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    OK, I did notice my hand burned after having it in the pool at 22 chlorine level, guess I'm being overly cautious now. I have not covered the pool or ran the SWG at all since Saturday. I do have trees, so have been working hard to keep the seeds and leaves out of the pool. I thought their presence might help to lower the chlorine, but it has been stubbornly staying high and not dropping quickly: Sat @ 22, Sunday @ 22, and just down to 18 today.

If, for any reason, I have to add something to lower it, how long does it take for that to work, please? Thanks for the info.
    I have no clue. I've never used anything like that. I believe chem geek was explaining something about peroxide, Let me find it..... Posts 13 &14 Desperate -- pool party tomorrow. Cancel party? Floc? Yes, I HAVE BEEN SHOCKING!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Great, assume it is immediate then and will allow circulation time (hope it goes down without though). As always, so appreciate it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like you did not actually follow the SLAM process, so impossible to say if your algae problem is eradicated.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

FC of 22 with CYA of 50 will not burn your hand. There is something else going on. Although, I have no idea what it could be.

Your PH and TA are way too high. With TA that high your PH is going to rise rapidly, test daily and when it gets to 7.8 add muriatic acid to drop it to 7.2 per Poolmath. It is possible that you will have to add acid several times at first because your PH could be higher than 8.2. Adding acid repeatedly to lower PH will slowly lower your TA. If you want to lower it faster here is how: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

It is important to keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.8
    It is also important to keep your chlorine above the minimum level and below the shock level based on your CYA, Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

It is safe to swim when:
    PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
    your water is clear
    chlorine is above minimum level and below shock level
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach