DIY IG LINER POOL part 3 -style and depth

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
Look at that - it's part 3 already :lol: (even if parts 1 & 2 aren't quite ready for the printer)

These parts are so interrelated it's hard to say what should be covered first, but I still feel that having some separation will make the process easier.

OK - everyone wants a pool that is as unique as they are. However, if you are DIYing it for the first time, perhaps KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is the best way to go. You are learning new skills and the margin for error is small! To make the project as easy as possible for a first timer - I recommend a flat out 16 X 32, 18 X 36 or 20 X 40 pool with either 6" radius corners or 2' radius corners. I suppose you could do a kidney pool, but getting any 'funkier' than that is asking for headaches. (these days, you can design about any shape you want with seats and tanning beds - but that's best left for the pros to install) I would avoid grecian pools because the corners can be a real b**ch to get right (but I will help anyone who wants to install an irregular pool - it's just not going to be in these threads :) )

You need to ask yourself what you require from the pool - do you NEED to dive, do you want a heater, how many lights, how large a shallow end, waterfall, SWCG, safety ledge, etc. I strongly suggest to anyone who wants to build their own pool that they ask Mark (mas) and Jason (Lion) about the proposed plumbing and filter set up!

I'll assume a straight up rectangle with stairs. AH yes, the stairs - it will be easier for a first timer to have the precast fiberglass stairs (if only because it makes dropping the liner a LOT easier) - they have a little extra work on the install, but are easier in the long run.

With regards to the liner, IF you know the dig will go without a hitch (like hitting bedrock) you can order it with the pool kit - they can take 3+ weeks to come in so it's better to have it before you start the project. However, if you all of a sudden have to change the floor - you'll be stuck with an expensive piece of liner that you don't really have a use for. If you are doing a 'sport' or non diving pool, this probably won't matter. If you have the liner before you dig and install the bottom, you MUST stick to the dimensions they cut the liner to!, if you wait - you can tell them what to cut the liner to. 8)

Again, I'm only trying to start the discussions with these posts - I'd LOVE some feedback on what I've said -- and then we can really start 'filling in' these posts :goodjob:

Ted

Re: DYI IG LINER POOL part3 -style and depth

If I had to pick a pool size today, I would choose the rectangle 16 X 32 X 8 deep (still questioning this depth ) with 2' corners. I would like atleast 6'6" depth. I'm leaning towards th 48" tall walls.
I'm not to sure or educated enough to choose Polymer walls or steel walls. Does anyone have a take on these products with pros and cons?

Chris

48" tall walls I assume mean 48" deep shallow end, which is a bit deep, especially if you have kids in the pool.

We have 36" walls, leaving the water about 32" deep, which is great for kids and just hanging around in.

Rob, thanks for the input :-D

Chris, as Rob pointed out, the larger panels (42" is the norm) will only deepen the shallow end. 42" walls will leave you with ~ 3' of water in the shallow end which is still enough to swim in yet also comfortable for kids and adults to stand in.

The only times (3) I've installed the Polymer walls was when the pool was located near the ocean and the ground water could be brackish, which could lead to premature degradation of the steel walls.

As for depth, you can have any depth you'd like. We usually install sport pools with 2 or 3 levels, my boss measures husband and wife to allow each a level where they can easily stand. Of course these are non-diving pools! If diving is a must have, you need 8' (and the slopes into the hopper have to be to code) On your proposed 16 X 32 this would mean a 7' shallow end, a 13' slope to the deep end, an 8' 'pad' on the deep end bottom, and 4' back wall. IF you go with a non-diving pool you can easily change those numbers to give you a larger shallow area and less wall and slope.

I'm glad :mrgreen: that these discussions are progressing and that other folks are chiming in :goodjob:

Ted

Re: DIY IG LINER POOL part3 -style and depth

Thanks Rob and Ted!!
Your input forces me to think outside my box. They are very good points and question: How will my family use and be comfortable with this pool?

Thank you!
Chris

Some things to consider.

Size: If you have young children and enough space, you may want to go with a longer pool (i.e. greater than 32 ft). 7 ft of shallow end is on the small side if you have several little kids and parents hanging out in the shallow end.

Steel vs Polymer Wall: I think either one is fine if it's installed right. I went with steel walls because I feel like it's going to outlast my needs and my PB was more familiar with it.

Radius corner: I have 6" radius corners. It's tough to get the liner to sit perfectly flush against the wall support in the corners. If I did it again, I would go with 2' corners.

Thank you Ben!

I will lay out the 18 x 36 with the shallow end marked in the back yard. This will also give me an idea which side I'm putting the deep end
at for equipment and plumbing questions.

Chris

Bumping for ma23peas

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.