Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Direction of returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Direction of returns

I'm not exactly sure where to put this thread, but hopefully those in the know can help...

I have one skimmer but 5 returns. 2 on either side of the stairs, 1 more in the shallow end, 1 mid pool, and 1 in the deep end just opposite the skimmer. Question: What is the direction they should all be facing for optimal circulation and filtering. Below is shot of my pool. Currently they all shooting more or less straight out or down, except for the deep end. Does it matter?

Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Direction of returns

Your goal is to get the debris on the surface to the skimmer. The easiest thing to try, is to point them all to the left, or to the right. Try to get a clockwise or counter clockwise circulation going, to see which one makes debris go best to the skimmer. Just a guess, I would try point them all to the right and create counter clockwise first.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, Yev has the right idea. Try it one way and see if stuff gets sucked into the skimmer. If not, try the other way. Counterclockwise does look like the best option to start with.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I agree with what was said above, but I'd like to comment on the jets at the stairs. I'm guessing they are actually in the sides of fiberglass stairs. If that is the case, it might be beneficial to aim one of them into the stairs. Stairs can be a dead spot for circulation sometimes and pointing a jet in will keep debris from settling on the steps.

TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

5. Back To Top    #5

Once you point them all in the same direction, drop some packing peanuts in the pool to watch your circulation pattern. You want to avoid "dead spots" in the pool so you may have to readjust some or all of them a bit.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice. I will play around with them when I get home from work.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Darn that thing called work! Don't they know you have a pool to play with! LOL Oh wait it is work that helps pay for the pool--------guess you better keep going.

I like to use ping pong balls as they are easy to buy. I use blue ones. OH and the cats love to watch them go around the pool too!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Darn that thing called work! Don't they know you have a pool to play with! LOL Oh wait it is work that helps pay for the pool--------guess you better keep going.

I like to use ping pong balls as they are easy to buy. I use blue ones. OH and the cats love to watch them go around the pool too!

Kim
    I know. Right?

Well I'm just about ready to do an OCLT (Please, Pool light...Don't sabotage me!!). All I have left is to vacuum one more time. After I pass, I need to put a cleaned up ladder back in the deep end and change my sand. I honestly cannot believe we looked at the water over the last two seasons and said, "Yeah. I'll go swimming in that."
    Chris

9. Back To Top    #9

Chris, You will NEVER look at another pool the same again. There are VERY few that will meet our standards!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit