New fiberglass over gunite finish, how long before NaCl?

3des

Nov 23, 2010
DFW
Long story short. 20+ year old gunite + plaster pool, 135ft of cracks. Nightmare. Considered many options but chose a local highly review FG company that offers 5 yr warranty on finish and staple crack repair. Closest I got on plaster was 6 months cracks, none on finish. FG is a little more expensive but very easy to repair, looks like plaster and am hoping it will be a bit more flexible should any more shifting occur.

So... tomorrow finally will be the gel coat. Once I get this thing filled again I'm prepared to balance and run with bleach for awhile if I need to. How long should I wait before adding salt?

Here are some pics after the first coat of gel. Happy to answer any questions on this. Seemed like a pretty ideal mix of construction, materials and durability to me. I know many are hard on pure FG pools, but IG + FG seems like a pretty good mix (hoping).

2015-06-09 10.29.43.jpg

2015-06-09 10.29.58.jpg

One thing that is concerning is the amount of water BENEATH the pool structure. We had a month of torrential rains here a week ago but there is a constant supply of water below after removing >60 gallons.

Ok project is finished. Really pleased with the results. General guidance on the original question was balance first then add salt. Usual FG call out about watching your CH, too low is very bad but 50 ppm lower than a traditional plaster pool. So far I'm happy.

For anyone else wondering, to go the FG route is about the same cost as going with a premium quartz plaster finish. FG over IG should last upwards of 20 yrs based on what I've read...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.