advice on tree near pool

May 14, 2013
austin/texas
I currently have an old cedar tree that is coming down since it's ugly/causes me lots of allergies especially during cedar fever season in austin. (yellow arrow)
I am contemplating adding a tree near the pool area where the cedar tree currently is, thinking between a large palm tree, maybe a live oak tree or nothing at all.
I could also remove the small sago palm tree (orange arrow) and put a big palm tree there also but worried this may be too close to the pool and cause more work/cleanup.

thoughts or any other ideas?

Attachments

• 20150608_201422.jpg
    20150608_201422.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 231
Be careful about certain palms as well. Many of them actually have male and female type (which I didn't know) and the male palms "shed" long. stringy parts of their palm fronds that can float down and make a mess in the pool. Also, before you select a final tree, consider researching its root structure to see if it has an aggressive root system. Maybe prevent headaches down the road like messing-up your concrete or pool plumbing.

Ditto the above. I once had a septic tank guy tell me, "the smaller the leaf, the more extensive and invasive the root system." I love Live Oaks, but I wouldn't put one anywhere NEAR any hard structure....

We have one about 2 miles from here which is purported to be over 2,000 years old. I can't imagine the root system that thing has, to have withstood all those centuries of hurricanes, while sitting in sand!

I reccommend a palm tree for sure! It would look fantastic in that location. Stay away from the Canary Island date Palm as that palm (although beautiful) has invasive root growth. In your zone 9a you have quite a few options for palms but my reccomendation for a beautiful tropical looking palm that will laugh at any cold your climate gives you is the Mule Palm. They mule is a cross between a syagarus (queen palm) and a butia odorata (pindo/jelly palm) They are about the closest looking palm to a coconut that you can fine and that will survive in your climate. There probably arent any mule palm dealers in your area as most come out of florida but you can get them shipped to you. Because they are a cross with the queen they are pretty fast growing as well. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Palm, not oak!

I have queen palms, pygmy date palms, a sylvester palm, a ponytail palm, and a bunch of arrecia palms. The beauty of palms is no leaves in the pool. When they seed, they basically rain straight down - they don't blow around like normal tree leaves. What little makes it into the pool is easily handled by the skimmer or bottom cleaner. I've never had a frond make it into the pool either.

If you're looking for a single palm on the bigger side, I highly recommend a foxtail. Fast growing, but they top out around 30' (not too tall) . They're self-cleaning, meaning they drop their old fronds - no trimming needed, and they don't produce big fruit.

Want smaller than that? Clusters of King Alexander palms or even smaller pygmy date palms are also very nice.

Of course, all of that depends on your climate zone... I'm 10b to 11, so they all do well here. I also have bird of paradise and heliconia happily growing in the yard.

Of course, all of that depends on your climate zone... I'm 10b to 11, so they all do well here. I also have bird of paradise and heliconia happily growing in the yard.

Although they are a really impressive plant, the white bird of paradise can get huge and unmanageable. When we bought our current house we had to take a 25ft tall, 4 ft wide plant that was taking over (and causing a fence to fall). Some of the 'limbs' were 8" + round. We have about 6 others that I cut back regularly to about 10 leaf stems - these probably won't flower but the foliage is almost as stunning as the flower.

Mike

antoniosp said:
...or nothing at all
This would be my recommendation. The most time-consuming part of pool maintenance for me is removing leaves out of the pool and I have no trees in the backyard. I don't even want to imagine what it would be like if I had any in the backyard. Granted, this is a seasonal chore for me but one that I find annoying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Having a large water oak hanging over my pool I vote NO on the oak tree! I am still scooping out leaves! Acorns clog the vacuum in the fall. Just no! Whatever you pick, avoid anything that flowers, or drops leaves. How about an ornamental banana tree?

Nothing deciduous!!

I have a mesquite tree near the pool (belongs to the neighbor) and it causes me no end of grief. One year, when I ran the suction cleaner without the leaf canister attached, I completely plugged up my vacuum line. Had to disassembly the Jandy valve at the equipment pad and blow that line out with compressed air. An enormous wad of needles, leaf debris and gunk came out.

Plant succulents and/or cacti. I know a guy that did his entire pool area in succulents, cacti and palms. Anything with leaves or flowers (Mexican red bird, lantana, etc) are in large clay pots. His pool deck area looks like it belongs in one of those fancy lifestyle magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although they are a really impressive plant, the white bird of paradise can get huge and unmanageable. When we bought our current house we had to take a 25ft tall, 4 ft wide plant that was taking over (and causing a fence to fall). Some of the 'limbs' were 8" + round. We have about 6 others that I cut back regularly to about 10 leaf stems - these probably won't flower but the foliage is almost as stunning as the flower.

Mike
Wow! I have the orange variety and the biggest is maybe only 5 feet tall. And that's a large mature one...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.