Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: advice on tree near pool

1. Back To Top    #1

advice on tree near pool

I currently have an old cedar tree that is coming down since it's ugly/causes me lots of allergies especially during cedar fever season in austin. (yellow arrow)
    I am contemplating adding a tree near the pool area where the cedar tree currently is, thinking between a large palm tree, maybe a live oak tree or nothing at all.
    I could also remove the small sago palm tree (orange arrow) and put a big palm tree there also but worried this may be too close to the pool and cause more work/cleanup.

thoughts or any other ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    34x15, 17K Fiberglass In-Ground Leisure Morroccan SWG, 1 1/2HP 2 speed SuperfFlo pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch 8 panel, 4 returns, 1 skimmer, Installed August 2013, Fiberstar 3-color LEDs, AquaBot AWD robot cleaner, Pentair Easy Touch 8 Wireless remote.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: advice on tree near pool

Don't put a Live Oak anywhere near the pool is my only suggestion.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Be careful about certain palms as well. Many of them actually have male and female type (which I didn't know) and the male palms "shed" long. stringy parts of their palm fronds that can float down and make a mess in the pool. Also, before you select a final tree, consider researching its root structure to see if it has an aggressive root system. Maybe prevent headaches down the road like messing-up your concrete or pool plumbing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ditto the above. I once had a septic tank guy tell me, "the smaller the leaf, the more extensive and invasive the root system." I love Live Oaks, but I wouldn't put one anywhere NEAR any hard structure....

We have one about 2 miles from here which is purported to be over 2,000 years old. I can't imagine the root system that thing has, to have withstood all those centuries of hurricanes, while sitting in sand!

5. Back To Top    #5

I reccommend a palm tree for sure! It would look fantastic in that location. Stay away from the Canary Island date Palm as that palm (although beautiful) has invasive root growth. In your zone 9a you have quite a few options for palms but my reccomendation for a beautiful tropical looking palm that will laugh at any cold your climate gives you is the Mule Palm. They mule is a cross between a syagarus (queen palm) and a butia odorata (pindo/jelly palm) They are about the closest looking palm to a coconut that you can fine and that will survive in your climate. There probably arent any mule palm dealers in your area as most come out of florida but you can get them shipped to you. Because they are a cross with the queen they are pretty fast growing as well. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    12X20x54" Saltwater 8000 semi-inground, Waterway 1.5hp 2speed 22" Pump Sand Filter, Hayward Goldline Aquatrol HP SWG, TF100

6. Back To Top    #6

Ditto on the live oaks. We're surrounded by them and they are a pain.
    Last edited by tim5055; 06-10-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Language
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have live oaks, but I do have other types of oaks pin oaks, etc. and acorns cause all sorts of problems.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Palm, not oak!

I have queen palms, pygmy date palms, a sylvester palm, a ponytail palm, and a bunch of arrecia palms. The beauty of palms is no leaves in the pool. When they seed, they basically rain straight down - they don't blow around like normal tree leaves. What little makes it into the pool is easily handled by the skimmer or bottom cleaner. I've never had a frond make it into the pool either.

If you're looking for a single palm on the bigger side, I highly recommend a foxtail. Fast growing, but they top out around 30' (not too tall) . They're self-cleaning, meaning they drop their old fronds - no trimming needed, and they don't produce big fruit.

Want smaller than that? Clusters of King Alexander palms or even smaller pygmy date palms are also very nice.

Of course, all of that depends on your climate zone... I'm 10b to 11, so they all do well here. I also have bird of paradise and heliconia happily growing in the yard.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbrig View Post

Of course, all of that depends on your climate zone... I'm 10b to 11, so they all do well here. I also have bird of paradise and heliconia happily growing in the yard.
    Although they are a really impressive plant, the white bird of paradise can get huge and unmanageable. When we bought our current house we had to take a 25ft tall, 4 ft wide plant that was taking over (and causing a fence to fall). Some of the 'limbs' were 8" + round. We have about 6 others that I cut back regularly to about 10 leaf stems - these probably won't flower but the foliage is almost as stunning as the flower.

Mike
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosp
    ...or nothing at all
    This would be my recommendation. The most time-consuming part of pool maintenance for me is removing leaves out of the pool and I have no trees in the backyard. I don't even want to imagine what it would be like if I had any in the backyard. Granted, this is a seasonal chore for me but one that I find annoying.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

11. Back To Top    #11

Having a large water oak hanging over my pool I vote NO on the oak tree! I am still scooping out leaves! Acorns clog the vacuum in the fall. Just no! Whatever you pick, avoid anything that flowers, or drops leaves. How about an ornamental banana tree?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Nothing deciduous!!

I have a mesquite tree near the pool (belongs to the neighbor) and it causes me no end of grief. One year, when I ran the suction cleaner without the leaf canister attached, I completely plugged up my vacuum line. Had to disassembly the Jandy valve at the equipment pad and blow that line out with compressed air. An enormous wad of needles, leaf debris and gunk came out.

Plant succulents and/or cacti. I know a guy that did his entire pool area in succulents, cacti and palms. Anything with leaves or flowers (Mexican red bird, lantana, etc) are in large clay pots. His pool deck area looks like it belongs in one of those fancy lifestyle magazines.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mikech View Post
    Ditto on the live oaks. We're surrounded by them and they are a pain.
    This year in the northeast, my oaks produces INSANE amounts of pollen. What a pain in the a!
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mikech View Post
    Although they are a really impressive plant, the white bird of paradise can get huge and unmanageable. When we bought our current house we had to take a 25ft tall, 4 ft wide plant that was taking over (and causing a fence to fall). Some of the 'limbs' were 8" + round. We have about 6 others that I cut back regularly to about 10 leaf stems - these probably won't flower but the foliage is almost as stunning as the flower.

Mike
    Wow! I have the orange variety and the biggest is maybe only 5 feet tall. And that's a large mature one...
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100