Brand new here. Needing help on chemicals.

Jun 8, 2015
Kaufman TX
I purchased a 26' round above ground pool that holds 14,667 gallons. I'm needing to know what chemicals to start out with and how much. I tried using the calculator on the site but was having problems. I've read a lot about bleach and baking soda but would like some specifics. Thanks a lot.

Hello and welcome! :wave: Glad to have you with us. Please take a moment to read some of our most common and vital links (below in my sig) to keep you ahead of the game with clear water. Also, if you haven't done so already, make sure you get one of the recommended test kits (i.e. TF-100 below) as well. It's an absolute “must” to obtain the proper chemical readings needed.

Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Initially when filling-up a pool, you will need some stabilizer (CYA) and liquid bleach for free chlorine (FC). Other simple products may be required (i.e. basking soda, borax, etc) to adjust PH or TA. On the calculator, enter your pool volume at the top, then you would data into the NOW and TARGET fields. The calculator will do the rest. We can help as you go.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Again, welcome to TFP!

I purchased a 26' round above ground pool that holds 14,667 gallons. I'm needing to know what chemicals to start out with and how much. I tried using the calculator on the site but was having problems. I've read a lot about bleach and baking soda but would like some specifics. Thanks a lot.
Welcome! :wave:

You can be sure that you'll need stabilizer because tap water doesn't have any in it. To get from zero to 40 will take just under 5 lbs. If you get lucky, you'll find a 5 lb canister. If not, you'll need two four pounders and have some leftovers.
Chlorine bleach is a consumable item, so you need to have some of that on hand for when you fill it. A little under half a gallon a day for a pool your size is typical usage. So a couple jugs of that.
You won't need to add any Calcium to your vinyl pool.
You can't tell if you'll need to adjust pH or alkalinity without testing. So you should have a proper test kit standing by. The ones we recommend are seldom stocked in pool stores. So order it up ASAP.

While you're out and about, find out who sells Soda Ash, Borax, big bags of Baking Soda, and full-strength (31.45%) Muriatic Acid and where they hide it. Then when you need something, you won't be hunting frantically. Don't buy any of those yet, because you may not need it. I've never had to raise my pH or TA, for instance. Just know who has it and where.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.