Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new here. Needing help on chemicals.

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new here. Needing help on chemicals.

I purchased a 26' round above ground pool that holds 14,667 gallons. I'm needing to know what chemicals to start out with and how much. I tried using the calculator on the site but was having problems. I've read a lot about bleach and baking soda but would like some specifics. Thanks a lot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new here. Needing help on chemicals.

Welcome to TFP!!

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you with us. Please take a moment to read some of our most common and vital links (below in my sig) to keep you ahead of the game with clear water. Also, if you haven't done so already, make sure you get one of the recommended test kits (i.e. TF-100 below) as well. It's an absolute “must” to obtain the proper chemical readings needed.

Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Initially when filling-up a pool, you will need some stabilizer (CYA) and liquid bleach for free chlorine (FC). Other simple products may be required (i.e. basking soda, borax, etc) to adjust PH or TA. On the calculator, enter your pool volume at the top, then you would data into the NOW and TARGET fields. The calculator will do the rest. We can help as you go.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Again, welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jgunner View Post
    I purchased a 26' round above ground pool that holds 14,667 gallons. I'm needing to know what chemicals to start out with and how much. I tried using the calculator on the site but was having problems. I've read a lot about bleach and baking soda but would like some specifics. Thanks a lot.
    Welcome!

You can be sure that you'll need stabilizer because tap water doesn't have any in it. To get from zero to 40 will take just under 5 lbs. If you get lucky, you'll find a 5 lb canister. If not, you'll need two four pounders and have some leftovers.
    Chlorine bleach is a consumable item, so you need to have some of that on hand for when you fill it. A little under half a gallon a day for a pool your size is typical usage. So a couple jugs of that.
    You won't need to add any Calcium to your vinyl pool.
    You can't tell if you'll need to adjust pH or alkalinity without testing. So you should have a proper test kit standing by. The ones we recommend are seldom stocked in pool stores. So order it up ASAP.

While you're out and about, find out who sells Soda Ash, Borax, big bags of Baking Soda, and full-strength (31.45%) Muriatic Acid and where they hide it. Then when you need something, you won't be hunting frantically. Don't buy any of those yet, because you may not need it. I've never had to raise my pH or TA, for instance. Just know who has it and where.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just to add to what Texas Splash was saying about the pool math link http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html In addition to setting your pool size at the top left, you also need to Yellow section marked suggested goals and set TroubleFreePool.com for levels, and set bleach as your primary method, along with vinyl for your pool surface type.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys... A lot of information to get to know for me