Stressed New Pool Owner in Cardinals Nation!!!

trtech

Jun 8, 2015
Poplar Bluff MO
We just recently bought an Intex ultra frame 22'x52" above ground pool. It came with a regular pump, but we purchased a sand filter pump.

We live in southeast Missouri. I teach 7-8 keyboarding and computers at a small public school. We love watching St. Louis Cardinals baseball, Kentucky Wildcats basketball, KC Chiefs Football and NASCAR.

Since I am off during summer months, we decided to get a pool this year. I have a masters in Education, but I don't even have a 1st grade education in anything related to this pool. The manuals that came with our pool and pump are vague. I need some serious education in pool ownership! I'm so glad I found this site!

1. My pool didn't come with any type of skimmer, do I need one?
2. Have a sand filter pump-thought I didn't need any chemicals-think I'm wrong?
3. What about chemicals??
4. Have no idea how to hook up my manual vacuum???
5. Anyone interested in helping a stressed Cardinals fan in MO?

Thanks!
Sandy

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

First, stay out of pool stores for help, they only help themselves to your hard earned cash.

Well, you are going to put that Masters to work and go back to school - Pool School. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

As to your questions:
1. Nice, but not totally necessary. After this year you will probably want one
2. Wrong, need chemicals, but you get most of them at WalMart
3. Pool School Reading
4. Sorry, don't know what you have.... We will need more information on it Make/Model??
5. Just about everyone here.

Tell me it's not set up and full of water already - please.

Oh, order a TF100 test kit. This is your most important piece of equipment.

Welcome Sandy! :wave: We can't do anything about being a Cardinal fan (ha ha, I couldn't resist) :) but you can bet there are a lot of pool lovers here who get a lot of satisfaction out of helping people just like you with their pool The links Tim and I have in our signatures serve as the foundation for everything that goes on here. Take some time to read and get ahead and ask all the questions you need. Nice to have you with us. :)

Welcome to TFP!

I would think your pool needs a skimmer. I've never seen a pool (IG or above-ground) without one.

Even with a sand filter, you will need some pool chemicals - just not all the potions they sell at the pool store.

One thing you will need is one of the Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

Here are some resources to give you an overview of our methods and answer your Q's about chemicals:

1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

If I may interject on my first day here, I just set up that same pool. The vacuum that came in the 'care kit' is of the venturi variety with a net bag to catch the big stuff, if I'm not mistaken.
Skimming: long pole with a net on the end will do the trick for starters. This may have come with your care kit.
Good luck, you are at the right place!