Confused New Pool Owner with New TF-100 Test Kit

aj2015

Jun 8, 2015
Winfield, AL
Ok I received my new TF-100 testing kit in the mail and once I found instructions on how to actually use the testing kit i've come up with these test results...

TC=1
PH=6.8
FC=.5
TA=80
CH=40
CYA=0

Our water is blue but so cloudy that you can't see the bottom!
My question is...should I start with doing a SLAM or follow the Pool Math calculator and add what it is telling me?

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Great job getting the best test kit!!

Put the amount of CYA Pool Math says you need to get to 30, place it in an old sock and hang it in the water, preferably in front of a return. Leave the SWG turned off.

Use Borax to to get the pH up to the low 7's, like 7.2 - again use Pool math to figure out how much you need. Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Then ignore everything else and SLAM the pool.

If you are unsure of how, read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

* CC is 0.5 or lower;
* You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
* The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You are not far off. Let's start with what problems you have...

Low pH
Cloudy water
Virtually no FC
No CYA to protect the FC.

Pump running, First bring your pH up to 7.2 using PoolMath to dose.

30 minutes later, bring your CYA up to around 30 ppm. Dose accurately so you don't overdose but now you can assume the CYA is in your pool....even though it won't yet show up on your test.

Now, you are ready to SLAM your Pool and get it crystal clear. SLAMming is a process so be sure you read the entire SLAM article before you start.

Use the Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School to tell you haw much to dose but I can tell you it will be about 20 ppm FC. Then you HOLD the FC at the SLAM level for however long it takes for your pool to get clear.

We'll help along the way.

Ok Tim this is probably a stupid questions but is a SWG (saltwater generator, right?) and a saltwater pump the same thing?
Yes, the salt water system creates chlorine via a chemical reaction once you get the proper amount of salt in the water. Lets get the water clear before we worry about that.

Dave did correct me on a key point, the pump should be running - so don't confuse the salt system with the pump.

Thanks Duraleigh and cowboycasey! Will start working on my PH and CYA and then let you know how the SLAM process goes. I am away from home for 12 hours each day Monday - Friday. How will this affect the SLAM process?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thank you Tim! Just wanted to check before I started!

Thanks Duraleigh and cowboycasey! Will start working on my PH and CYA and then let you know how the SLAM process goes. I am away from home for 12 hours each day Monday - Friday. How will this affect the SLAM process?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thank you Tim! Just wanted to check before I started!
It will slow down the SLAM, but if you test and adjust before you go to work and then a couple of times after you get home before bed it will clear up.

before you go to work take it above your shock level 3 to 5 fc, so if your shock is 12 (CYA 30) take it to 15 and see if it is close to 12 when you return :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I have another question. If I need to hold the FC level at a 12-15 during SLAMming and my FC test kit only shows a max of 10 then how do I know what the exact level is? Do I just assume as long as it reads more than 10 and once it reads at level 8-10 then I add the recommended amount of bleach to increase it back to the FC SLAMming level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.