Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Beginner FC level question

1. Back To Top    #1

Beginner FC level question

So I am doing well with my pool so far this year...happy to be using TFP method and understanding A LOT! My question is this: my FC minimum and target levels are 4-6. I have dropped below minimum levels a couple times (3-3.5) and feel like I'm scared to death when I do--waiting for the cloudy water to start. What should be my goal of FC if my pool seems like it loses about 3ppm over a day or so? Is there any reason to NOT target like 9-10 every day so I endure I don't drop below minimum?

18,000 gal; inground; vinyl; 18' x 36'; Cristal-Flo Sand Filter (new sand 4/27/15); Taylor K-2006 test kit; Avon, Indiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Beginner FC level question

What is your CYA?

If the minimum is 4ppm and you seem to be losing (3ppm daily ... seems a little high), then target 7.5-8ppm every day.

If you target too high a level, you will end up having to add more ppm each day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If 4 is your minimum and you find you routinely loose 3ppm a day, then yes bump up your target. maybe not as much as 9-10, but 7-8 or 8-9.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

We get distracted and it happens. We check our FC and ..OOPS! A little low. Best thing to do is get it back up quickly, maybe even 2-3ppm higher than normal for a short bit. But unless you have good indication something is wrong, there's no need to just arbitrarily keep the FC high all the time. After all, TFPC is about using the minimal amount of chemicals, so you should be fine. If at some point you are still concerned, you can always do the overnight OCLT and see if there's a huge drop. During the day in the hot sun, losing 3 ppm may be explained by your CYA. Too low and you lose more FC. Without those readings we don't know, but perhaps your CYA needs to go up slightly.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Agreed...a few PPM bump is a good thing.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Relax!

A few hours below minimum once in a while isn't going to wreck everything. A pool is like a living thing. As long as a person is ordinarily well-fed and in good health, one day fasting won't cause him to immediately contract beri-beri. It's sustained malnutrition that brings about sickness. Same thing with your pool.

If your minimum is 4 and you lose 3, target 7. Or 7.5. The problem is that you lose a percentage every day, not a fixed amount. If you target 6 and lose 3, that's 50%. Target 8, you'll lose 4. Target 10, you'll lose 5. That's an extra 2 ppm per day. That adds up fast. That's the same reason you can't just say, "I lose 3 per day and I'm leaving town for four days, take it up to 12." It just doesn't work that way. Target just high enough to keep above minimum before you can add again and leave .5 margin for safety or something.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

My CYA is 50. I'll try to target 8 and test daily. I've been testing about every other day but adding enough to account for a couple days loss. Maybe that's my issue--I'm not taking into account it's a percentage. Thanks guys.

18,000 gal; inground; vinyl; 18' x 36'; Cristal-Flo Sand Filter (new sand 4/27/15); Taylor K-2006 test kit; Avon, Indiana