1st time opening pool... Algae problem that won't clear up

Bmkole

Jun 8, 2015
Albany/NY
First time opening my pool. Bought the house last summer. My pool is 16X32 and I have a Hayward cartridge filter that uses a c1200 cartridge. I removed the cover to find the pool resembled pea soup. After one full week of treating with chlorine and Algaecide and rinsing the filter daily, I finally got it to the point wher I could almost see the bottom. I added flocculant and waited a day. The water was clear and I then spent a day vacuuming to waste. All the debris was out. I vacuumed a few more times after allowing things to settle. I woke this morning, there was still a little lines of particles. I vacummed the remaining junk from the bottom, the pool looked pretty good. I washed out the filter and added chlorine. I then turned on the pump to circulate the chlorine. I came back 20 minutes later and the pool is brown again! I'm guessing 1. I didn't flush the filter enough or 2. The return lines were loaded with algae. Either way, it's disheartening to say the least. Is this normal? I installed a brand new filter and circulated all day. Didn't see any improvement. I know the big stuff is out of the pool (leaves etc). Should I do another cycle of flocculant or just filter for a few days?

I've checked balance daily (test kit) and all numbers are in range except chlorine, it's high (10 ppm+). The flocculant was recommended by multiple pool ppl and it worked! The pool looked good. The water was clear, it wasn't until I added more chlorine and powered the pump back on. (Pump was off for 2 days while using the flocculant). Within 20 minutes of running the pump, the water went from clear to brown. 2 steps forward and 3 back!

so, if balance is normal (ph, alkalinity, hardness etc) and there is enough chlorine to ward off algae growth, how do I clear the pool? If filtering is not the answer? Suggestions?

You test kit is lacking the FAS-DPD chlorine test which is need to properly clear up the pool with the SLAM process.

Please post what kit you have and the results. "Balance is normal" is meaningless to us. We want numbers.

BMKOLE, first advice is to not go to the pool store anymore.

second piece of advice is to ask questions and listen to the advice given here. the people here are not pool store owners trying to sell you useless chemicals at big profits. we are going to tell you how to fix your pool and to get the water crystal clean, and then how to maintain it with minimal cost/effort.

you will not regret following the advice/methods used here. BUT, it will require you to un-learn the way the pool store has taught you to maintain a pool. ever notice how much you have to keep going back to them and buying more stuff over and over again? well if you got your pool cleaned up via the SLAM process taught here and then maintained it with bleach, you will never need to shock your pool again, or add floc or any other nonsense.

first step, bite the bullet and buy one of the two recommended test kits. the TF-100 is a better value

Ditto to what Dan just posted. We (TFP) have no personal/business interest in selling anything. We just want to help ordinary people succeed on their own. Just follow the advice above.

Also, I didn't see anywhere above your pool info. Please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.