Very cloudy pool. Filter problems. Dead algae on bottom of pool

May 26, 2015
Berlin, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We recently purchased a home that was vacant for some time with a pool that had not been run in several years. We decided to open it two weeks ago. After removing several bags of leaves and pine needles, we slammed the pool. Chemicals are good, however, my pool is very cloudy. If I look close up, I can see small whiteish particles floating around. When I shut off my filter, these particles drop to the bottom, but if I try to vacuum, everything just gets kicked up and goes cloudy again. Should I just relax and wait for my filter to catch up? It's been running with new sand for five days. Our filter is Hayward s180t with a 1hp pump. I believe the filter is a little small for my pool which is approximately 23,000 gallons.

Welcome to TFP!

Part of the SLAM Procedure is getting clear. Are you following that with one of the suggested kits? Also, is that a Sand Filter, and how is the pressure behaving when you run it and when you vacuum? Lastly, are you running it 24/7?

It's clear when the particles settle to the bottom. But I started slaming it again tonight. It is a sand filter. Pressure is usually between 8-10psi. If it goes up 20-30%, I backwash.

- - - Updated - - -

I only have test strips right now and a test for chlorine and ph that the previous owner left behind.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool! Good job scooping out the debris.

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Your last post was on the 8th, so these are your own test results? TF-100? Let's follow-up now with a couple items:
- Are you currently still SLAMming? Your FC is a bit higher than the recommended 16 for your CYA, but that shouldn't be an issue
- CC is right at the top-end of what we want (no more than .5); might indicate it's still fighting a bit or stuff in the water
- PH - irrelevant right now with high FC level; check & adjust after SLAM
- TA fine
Hardness not an issue for vinyl

I think the initial concern is how long and consistent have you been SLAMming? As a reminder (if you are SLAMming right now), here are the big takeaways:
“Maintain” the SLAM FC level until 3 objectives are met:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.

At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed. Be patient and let the high FC level do its job.

Other than a couple questions we had for you, do you have any more for us?

image.jpg
Very excited today! I can see bottom! Shocked again this afternoon. Been keeping the chlorine up and checking daily. Filter is running 24/7 and has been for a week and a half. Adding DE to skimmer after every backwash. Using the Taylor FAS DPD test kit. Having trouble with the dot test for CYA. It's anywhere between 40 and 60 so I have been shocking like its at 60.

FC 14.5 (shocked it up to ~22)
CC .5 or less. Barely could see any pink and one drop made it clear immediately.
pH 7.4
TA 100
CYA ~60

Did not test for hardness today.

Any other tips? Or should I keep doing what I'm doing and be patient?

Keep at it until you pass all three criteria for a successful SLAM. It's looking good! When you say you "shocked again this afternoon", you ARE keeping your chlorine at the SLAM level with liquid bleach, as constantly as possible, right? Just want to make sure our words mean the same thing.

You have a vinyl liner calcium hardness doesn't really impact the you like in a plaster/gunite pool. No read need to check it again for a month or so.

Welcome!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Screenshot_2015-06-18-10-42-41.jpg
Updated picture today. Still hazy. This is in the shallow end. The deep end is more difficult to see (8ft). Test results this morning:

FC 12
CC .5
pH 7.0
TA 100
CYA 50

I added some baking soda to increase the pH and hopefully improve my clarity. Any suggestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.