I have a 15x48 Intex Easy Set pool (3700 gallons). This is my first pool and I've been reading lots about pool maintenance and am a little overwhelmed. When I first bought the pool, I bought a "flippin frog" chlorine dispenser and have it set to 4. I read reviews (not on this site) where people said this would alone would keep everything in check on smaller pools.
With that said, our pool is about 4 weeks old. Water is crystal clear. PH is a little low at 6.8-7, and chlorine unfortunately doesn't register on the test kit, so it's below .5. The big problem I have is that yellow/brown staining that has showed up on the bottom outward part of the pool. I was hoping it was dirt since it sweeps away quite easily, but now I'm thinking it's the brown/mustard algae.
So, I bought some stuff at Lowes called "SHOCK" by Pool Essentials. I figured it needed anyway since the chlorine was low. I was going to add that and run the pump overnight.
Question: Would you all recommend using this "SHOCK"? If so, I'm a little concerned about staining. I plan to dilute it in water and slowly poor it in spreading it out. Any other precautions I should take? It says it treats 10,000 gallons so I plan to only use a third of it and store it until next time.
Thanks in advance.