Cloudy water - frustrated.

emilye

Apr 29, 2014
Graham, Tx
I have been battling cloudy water since I opened the pool 4 weeks ago. The few times I have seen the bottom, it had a powdery substance in it. As soon as I get near it with the vacuum, it goes into the water as a cloud. I have been vacuuming to waste the few times I could see the bottom.
In the last week, I upgraded my pump from a 1/4 hp intex sand filter to a 1 hp pump with a hayward sand filter.

What else can I do? I have been trying to keep the chlorine high to kill off any algae in case that is why it is cloudy. Last time I added liquid chlorine was 12 hrs ago. Over the past 4 weeks, I have added 2 boxes of borax to see if maybe the low pH might be causing problems. I used the pool calculator.

TC 6.1
FC 5.7
CYA 26
Total alkalinity 47
pH 7.1

Thank you!

Intex ultra frame14ft across 42 inches deep.

Welcome back ... look like you posted a question last year and then we never heard from you again :(

What test kit are you using?
Are you trying to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process?
What kind of filter do you have? Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Welcome back! :wave:

You'll have that test kit in a few days and things will accelerate, especially now with that new upgraded sand filter. I predict you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't buy the kit last year when you see how crystal clear your pool will become and how easy it is to maintain once you're in control. Go ahead and start sending out invitations to Fourth of July at your house. You'll want to show off your pool.

I ended up buying hth clarifier. I added 1 oz and by morning my pool was crystal clear.

I got my tf100 test kit today.
FC 7
CC 0
Calcium hardness 400
TA 50
pH 6.8
CYA 50

It looks like I need to raise my pH and total alkalinity. I read to aerate to increase TA with a low pH. What is a good way to do this or should I add the recomended amount of baking soda?
Do I correct pH with borax first before I try to correct the pH?
Thank you.

Aerating raises pH not TA.
I would raise the pH with borax or washing soda into the 7s and then see if you need to bump the TA with baking soda.

You should also raise the FC level to shock level and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test because cloudy water usually means there is something lurking ... and clarifier will not kill it. If you fail, then you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.