Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How "clear" is clear? Lets compare clear water

1. Back To Top    #1

How "clear" is clear? Lets compare clear water

If you are using the TFPC properly, and have very clear water, I am curious as how my clear water compares to everyone elses water. I have read various commented from the experts in this forum, but wanted to reach out to everyone to see how they define clear water.

I think it might have been Richard that said that he could drop a quarter in the deep end and read heads or tails. Anyone have an opinion of what the clear standard should be?
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How "clear" is clear? Lets compare clear water

I would think a lot depends on your filtration.
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Doesn't depend on your filtration at all. A properly chlorinated and balanced pool will clear up whether it has a sand, de, or cartridge. The only thing those determine is the speed it will clear up if there is a problem.

I say if you have a calm day, your pump is not on, and you walk by and have to do a double take because you at first think your water all drained out.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I know mine is clear when I can see the screw heads on the main drain at 8.5 feet and know that they are phillips head
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I know mine is clear when I can see the screw heads on the main drain at 8.5 feet and know that they are phillips head
    Mine does this as well.

My PG was here last week. He said whatever I am doing is pretty darn amazing! He said its rare to see a pool as clear as mine.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't have a bottom drain, so I have to go with the coin method ... unless clearly seeing scorpions counts. You might not think that's so great, but I can tell if they're male or female from 7'. Bwwahhaaha!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I posted a pic of my clear pool:WOW!!

I agree about the problem with such clean and clear water is the ability to see every speck of dirt in the entire pool... Makes cleaning the pool an obsession to make it perfect!

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd post a pic, but my water wouldn't even show up.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Woodyp, bwaahaa!

Wrems, that is good. And I agree with the cleaning obsession. Now that our pool is so clear, the wife is quick to remind me I need to vacuum the junk of the bottom. Uhg.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Im with woody and Donaldson.

on a calm night with pump off and pool light on, you will be hard pressed to believe there is any water in the pool at all.
    I can easily tell if my quarter is heads or tails. I can also read the date on it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

Pics of my water in my build link in sig. The uninitiated always say wow, how can your water be that clear. The repeat visitors always say how much they love swimming in our pool over other pools. Their kids leave the goggles at home.

What is most awesome of all is that my pool has been this clear since day one and it is that clear every day. Pics in my build thread are spread out over a few years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

I had to pull a bird out of my skimmer on Saturday. I keep thinking it tried to land on the floor of the pool because it didn't see the water. Kind of like birds running into clean Windows.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave
    on a calm night with pump off and pool light on, you will be hard pressed to believe there is any water in the pool at all.
    This is my standard.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

14. Back To Top    #14

........................"I can easily tell if my quarter is heads or tails. I can also read the date on it. "

I sure wish my eyes were that good!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

15. Back To Top    #15

Along with my water, I have some eyes that Superman would envy. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    ........................"I can easily tell if my quarter is heads or tails. I can also read the date on it. "

I sure wish my eyes were that good!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Im with woody and Donaldson.

I can easily tell if my quarter is heads or tails. I can also read the date on it.
    You must have some good eyes.

I agree with the heads/tails/screw head descriptions. If you can see that in daylight it's plenty good enough for me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

18. Back To Top    #18

From the opposite perspective, I know mine is not clear when I look and then I bend closer and look again. If I say, that's clear and I walk away, I know everything is balanced and perfect.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    You must have some good eyes.

I agree with the heads/tails/screw head descriptions. If you can see that in daylight it's plenty good enough for me.
    I can read the mint mark!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

20. Back To Top    #20

I'm new to pools and this forum. It took me a couple weeks to get my numbers right and I can see a big difference. The pool has always been clear but getting the pool to tfp specs its crystal clear.

For me to notice how clear it really is, I like to put goggles on and look across the pool from under the water.

I also noticed a huge difference when the pool was dirty. Lots of floaties under water. Dropped the aquabot rover jr in and opened the bottom drains. After it was amazingly clear. That was one of my first realizations about how clear the pool really is.
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast