Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What would be the first indication that you didn't SLAM properly?

1. Back To Top    #1

What would be the first indication that you didn't SLAM properly?

This is my first year with a pool and first year with the TFPC method. I think I finished my SLAM successfully in early May- passed the three requirements, and everything still looks good. I add 1-2 quarts of bleach daily to maintain my FC level and <1 CC level. I continue to read about people who are currently SLAMming or completed but still have some issues, which got me thinking- what would be the first indication that the SLAM wasn't completed properly (assuming you incorrectly thought you passed the three SLAM requirements)? Would it be a high CC, adding too much bleach, an algae bloom, cloudy water, any of the above, or something else? This is more for my 'future reference' knowledge....
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What would be the first indication that you didn't SLAM properly?

You'd discover much less FC when you tested than you're used to seeing, without some good reason like a pool party the day before. If you're not there yet, you will soon be to the point where you can predict your test results with amazing accuracy before you even open the lid of the test kit. You water will also lose some of its sparkle.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What would be the first indication that you didn't SLAM properly?

Thanks...I've been trying to guess what the FC level will be, and it's pretty predictable, but we're not really in good swimming season yet...so it's easier. I'll see how good I can do when it starts getting more use...
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10