Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just ordered Raypak heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Just ordered Raypak heater

Super stoked! Just ordered 240,000 BTU cupro-nickel raypak heater. Ordered from pool store so I paid a little bit more than online but having a 1 year warranty is worth it. Pics coming soon.
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

Pool/Deck Install Finished Finally!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Just ordered Raypak heater

15 year warranty? Is this a heat pump?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    15 year warranty? Is this a heat pump?
    LOL - meant to say 1 year warranty. 15 would be nice.
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Just an update. Pool store was getting heater in on Friday and to get it quicker I said I would pick it up. Also, after reading some posts on TFP about needing to possibly change to a bigger gas meter I asked the pool guys advice. "In my 30 years I have never heard of such a thing."

Fast forward to today. I called a licensed plumber in the area with gas certification and I asked him about the meter issue some people have that I read on TFP, that the pool store said I shouldn't bother with, he told me to look on my meter and it will say available BTU (maybe it wasn't BTU) but whatever the equivalent to how much it can handle. My meter was 250k. My furnace is 140k, dryer 40k, and hot water tank 40k so with a 240k heater coming in glad I called. The gas company is coming out in a week or so to upgrade my meter. So, for the record, if anyone is keeping score at home, it's 0 pool store vs. 3,875,272 TFP.

Also, I measured about 100 ft of line I need from meter. Ugh, I think the average is $20-$30 per ft. Hope I get a good deal. Plumber said he would use PE and bury it 24" deep. He only uses black iron inside. Just read other threads about people questioning this so I thought I would post my findings to help others.

5. Back To Top    #5

Surprised the gas company didn't tell you in advance about needing a larger meter. Most service trucks (Nat gas or LP) have a laminated index card in the driver door pocket that shows valve and btu conversion charts to ensure correct installations.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 4knights View Post
    Surprised the gas company didn't tell you in advance about needing a larger meter. Most service trucks (Nat gas or LP) have a laminated index card in the driver door pocket that shows valve and btu conversion charts to ensure correct installations.
    Sorry for the probably confusing long post but they did. I just had to call them and tell them I got a heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

No surprise on the pool store issue. They are there to sell products and many don't care or know gas requirements for heaters.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

Pool heater came into today. It's a monster and you can't lay it down. I chose to pick it up so I will have to get a van or truck later today. I should have assumed you couldn't lay it down but pool store failed to tell me before.

9. Back To Top    #9

Rented a trencher and dug the gas line. Getting installed today. image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Trench was about 100ft that you can see in pics then about another 20ft to hook around outside fence to meter then about another 60ft to run under the deck to where pool equipment is. Running PE 24" underground then bringing up with a riser (God are these expensive) under the deck and using black iron under the deck. Came to about $800 with all materials to run in total about 175 ft.

10. Back To Top    #10

Heater is installed and wow is it awesome. Heats my pool about 1-2 degrees every 30 minutes. Now my gas bill... Tbd.

11. Back To Top    #11

I just finished installing an old comfortzone heater that a friend of mine wasn't using, he's not sure if he will fill in his pool or put a liner in it. 250K, we pulled 100' of 1/2" id copper, I sized it large enough so that if this heater didn't work I could still upsize, at 100' I am good to about 460K. The old millivolt heaters are super simple, little cleaning up and it fired right up, not as efficient as a new one but raised it a couple degrees in just over an hour. Can't beat free, hopefully it lasts a couple years and now I have the plumbing and gas for a new one ready to go.
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell