Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are 'in pool' umbrella holders a good idea?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are 'in pool' umbrella holders a good idea?

I have concerns that they will be a weak point in the concrete, causing cracks or chipping years down the road. Thoughts?
    15K Gal, IG concrete, variable speed pentair pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are 'in pool' umbrella holders a good idea?

We installed one and it looks pretty sturdy ( no wobble) . We have a 9ft umbrella in it now and is sturdy. Have not tested in strong wind and probably will lower or remove before storms. Sure shades that in of pool!
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

3. Back To Top    #3

Depends on who you talk to.
    It is a preference decision rather than an issue with pool weakness.
    The sleeve length is less then the thickness of the gunite.
    As they are set in the sundeck, the water pressure on them is minimal.
    The sleeve is positioned withing the rebar grid of the sundeck.
    Comparing the strength of a typical umbrella pole and the sleeved concrete, the umbrella will snap long before the concrete fractures.
    The type of sleeve; plastic vs Stainless Steel may be a more pertinent question with regards to longevity.
    I went with the plastic ones in my pool, but to each their own.

Mine is towards the front of the sun shelf.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

we are having one put into Baja Shelf.
    (Started 4/20/15) 32' x 16' In-ground Presidential Pools(3-5-4) 14K gallon salt water pool, Pebble Radiance Kona Blue, Pentair Inteiliflo pump, 420 Cartridge filter, Q-360 in-floor cleaning, Eclipse drain, 2 Spectrum 360 LED lights, Grotto w/waterfall, Trazocrete table with bench seating, 2 deck jets, Baja step, 400 sq ft acrylic lace deck - Sonoran Stone.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would not get one ...
    1. potential weak point
    2. place for dirt and algae to collect
    3. no ability to move it around.

I would just get a plastic base you could fill with sand and then set it wherever you like.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

The owner of the shotcrete company who did my project helped place them. He offers a lifetime warranty (as long as I own the pool) so I imaging he's not too concerned about them harming my pool, he placed four of them and my decking guys did 11 of them in the deck.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

7. Back To Top    #7

Dirt and algae were my main concern. Doesn't seem like there's an easy way to keep them clean.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Just stick the end of a water hose down in them and blast out anything that might get down in there.
    Keep the caps on when not in use.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir