Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover handling

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover handling

So, when buttoning up for the evening, how do you guys pull the solar cover off the reel and get it to the other end of the pool? The original clips tore thru the cover. I'm thinking of using a 10' length of foam core pvc and attaching it to the end of the cover using clips similar to those attaching it to the aluminum reel, then using some heavy nylon cord to pull it...that way you unroll the cord from a small hand-held reel while you walk to the other end, then slowly pull the end of the cover toward you. Of course, my "helper" would assist the un-reeling of the cover at the reel...

Thoughts?
    20x44x8 Cardinal vinyl IGP, 33000 gal, 2 hp Mustang, 60 SF CrystalWater DE, Zodiac LM3 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover handling

What you describe is almost exactly what I built to pull my solar cover onto the pool. It works very well. I can pull the cover on by myself in less than 1 minute. There's no need for anyone to assist in un-reeling the cover, as long as it was rolled up neatly onto the reel. In fact, covering the pool is much easier than uncovering it. I'll try to find time this week to take some pictures and post them.

I had one problem initially: the leading edge of the cover would tend to sink under the water as I pulled it across, and then I'd have lots of water on top of the cover, which makes it way less effective at controlling heat loss. I solved that problem by attaching pool noodles to the leading edge. I sewed them on with fishing line.
    Sharkline Oceanic AG pool: 14.2k gallon, 15'x30' oval, built 7/17/14
    Pentair SD40 sand filter w/ 1HP dual-speed OptiFlo pump
    Raypak 266k BTU NG heater
    TF100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I could stand on the diving board when pulling, so it helps keep that leading edge!
    20x44x8 Cardinal vinyl IGP, 33000 gal, 2 hp Mustang, 60 SF CrystalWater DE, Zodiac LM3 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

This is what I did:

DIY Solar Cover Roller
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    This is what I did:

DIY Solar Cover Roller
    Saw that and liked it...however we've been pretty happy with the way we were doing it. It's just that the means of attachment to the cover ripped out and I was looking for a more durable way of attaching the pull rope to it. I got an Odyssey reel and 20x40 cover for nuthin' on Craigslist a couple years back, so I'm way ahead of the game. Spreading the load of the pulling rope out over 10 feet will certainly be less stress on the cover.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kkpjm View Post
    Saw that and liked it...however we've been pretty happy with the way we were doing it. It's just that the means of attachment to the cover ripped out and I was looking for a more durable way of attaching the pull rope to it. I got an Odyssey reel and 20x40 cover for nuthin' on Craigslist a couple years back, so I'm way ahead of the game. Spreading the load of the pulling rope out over 10 feet will certainly be less stress on the cover.
    How you liking the Odyssey reel? I have a lead on one locally.
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by suzook View Post
    How you liking the Odyssey reel? I have a lead on one locally.
    No problems at all. For the price, it was outstanding. I had to get new bolts to fasten the aluminum tubes together, (they have some rubber grommets that expand, kind of a weird system) but the local pool guy ordered them up for me quick.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kkpjm View Post
    No problems at all. For the price, it was outstanding. I had to get new bolts to fasten the aluminum tubes together, (they have some rubber grommets that expand, kind of a weird system) but the local pool guy ordered them up for me quick.
    Sorry to get off topic, it would you mind measuring diameter of aluminum pole? Would greatly appreciate it.
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.