Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua Trol Grounding

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua Trol Grounding

Installing a new Aqua Trol and the instructions state to connect the green ground terminal to the ground in the service panel. Isn't the SWG already grounded to the panel through the 3 prong plug and GFCI?
    21' 54" round AGP, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward Aqua Trol HP SWG, Hayward 150 sq ft cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua Trol Grounding

Not sure the exact model you have , but this is what I see in the manual I pulled up:
    Input Power
    Models with the standard 120 VAC line cord should be plugged into a GFCI recep-
    tacle. Twist lock models should be plugged into a twist lock receptacle wired to a
    GFCI circuit breaker.

Bonding
    A lug used for bonding is attached to the bottom of the Aqua Trol enclosure.
    Connect to the pool bonding system using minimum 8AWG copper wire if required
    by code
    What exact model?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Where did you see that? I didn't see it skimming the manual. The options I saw either had a straight blade plug or a twist lock. Either one should have all the necessary connections done inside the box.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the hp model straight blade plug. Here is a copy and paste from the manual:

A green colored terminal marked "Earth Ground" is located inside the wiring compartment. To reduce the risk of electric shock, this terminal must be con- nected to the grounding means provided in the elec- tric supply service panel with a continuous copper wire equivalent in size to the circuit conductors supplying the equipment.
    21' 54" round AGP, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward Aqua Trol HP SWG, Hayward 150 sq ft cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bighendy View Post
    I have the hp model straight blade plug. Here is a copy and paste from the manual:

A green colored terminal marked "Earth Ground" is located inside the wiring compartment. To reduce the risk of electric shock, this terminal must be connected to the grounding means provided in the electric supply service panel with a continuous copper wire equivalent in size to the circuit conductors supplying the equipment.
    Found it. Funny, it's up front in the Safety Instructions, not in the section on wiring. But it's there, so it looks like you need to run an additional #12 green wire to the panel ground in addition to the bonding wire you should add to the bonding grid. Do not confuse or interconnect the bond & ground systems.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

So they want a ground for the circuitry, a bonding wire, and a ground for the case of the unit. Sounds like it would be cleaner looking to just run flexible conduit in place of the cord they supply. Then you could eliminate one of the grounds. Just pigtail the circuitry ground off the case ground in the box. Still have to have the bonding wire.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree not very clean to have a green wire coming out of the case. I assumed it was the same as a 3 prong pump and just grounded through the GFCI.

8. Back To Top    #8

I just opened up my unit and the green terminal they are talking about is already connected to the green wire from the power cord as well as the green wire for the 115v outlet on the bottom of the box. If I knew how to add a pic I would lol

9. Back To Top    #9

And there's the problem with having one instruction manual cover multiple products. They probably copied that page from the aquarite and didn't think about changing it to reflect the Aqua trol.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep haha. Definitely no need to double ground the same terminal lol

11. Back To Top    #11

Cut & Paste is a wonderful thing, but it can bite you in the rear end.......