Starting over

Dager

May 27, 2014
Atoka, TN
I started looking at this Forum at the end of last year and against my better judgment I continued to use my "pool store" when opening this year. I began opening the pool the middle of May and have spent over a thousand dollars on this, that and the other and my pool was still green, although the "pool store" said my water was perfect and I just needed to shock it. It's the same story as everyone else so I will stop with the rest and say this.

I ordered my TF-100 and it arrives today. Goodbye pool store. I am looking forward to a crystal clear summer.

Considering what I have spent already and what it would cost to move forward against what 22,000 gallons of water would cost, I dumped it over the weekend, scrubbed it down with bleach/water removing all traces of algae and it is filling as we speak. It is just now at the skimmers, a few hours to go.

I will test it when I get home from work with my new test kit (I am so excited and all in) and go from there. I am assuming from the pool calculator I will at a minimum need a gallon of bleach, 40 oz of CYA and whatever is needed for PH and TA based on actual test results.

Is there something else that I should be thinking of?

Thank you,
Dager

Better late than never: Welcome to TFP!

Sorry to hear about your very expensive learning experience, but I am glad you took the lesson to heart. Sounds like you have a good idea on how to get things going now, how are you planning to regularly chlorinate going forward?

awesome and great decision to bite the bullet and get started. too bad you didn't last year, would have saved tons of money.

until your test kit comes in, get stabilizer in to get to 30 ppm. based on pool math, to go from 0 to 30ppm needs 88 oz of cyuranic acid, you already put in 40, so double that. a gallon on bleach sounds good.

I would pick up some baking soda to get TA up to 60ppm, after you have tested the water. pick up a gallon of muriatic acid while you are out, will need that eventually.

Welcome Dager! You learned the hard way huh? :brickwall: So did I. The good thing is we try to learn from our mistakes, and with the TF-100 on its way you are going in the right direction. Sounds like you have the right idea to start. Sock filled with enough stabilizer to get you to about 30-40ppm. Definitely get some regular bleach in the right away to get you to a temporary 2ppm based on your pool size, then after the CYA kicks in (a few days later) start taking the FC up to your regular level (3-7) depending upon CYA. You can adjust PH and TA along the way using the poolmath calculator. Several links below in my sig if it helps.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Welcome to TFP! :)

Welcome! :wave:

I don't use these pictures often, but you probably can appreciate them better than most people after having your wallet lightened that much.

attachment.php

attachment.php

How are you planning to chlorinate the pool from now on? Daily doses of chlorine or perhaps investing in a SWG?

You'll never have to spend all those bucks in a pool store again for getting no improvement! Welcome to the TFP way :)

Thanks for all the quick responses. It seems I only learn after making huge mistakes.

I plan to use daily doses of chlorine bleach, had I not spent 1k this spring I could've probably upgraded to a SWG, maybe next year. After reviewing the calculator I guess I would like to know what I should be using as a goal for FC? The calc says 1-7 but I think I read here somewhere to never let it dip below 3, is there a number that everyone routinely aims for? Is 6 to high?

I swear if this pool turns green I am convinced I will fill it in with sand and make it a huge neighborhood litter box.

Actually, it depends on your current CYA which is why the test kit is SO important. Please see the link in my sig for Chlorine/CYA Chart and you'll see what I mean. You want to have CYA in the 30-50 range, so your FC would match-up to which ever CYA you are currently at. You NEVER want FC to go below those "minimum" numbers.

And if your pool ever did turn green, we'll help you there too. Easy stuff. :)

OK I got it now, the calculator says 1-7 but that is based on the CYA numbers so technically the minimum and target FC levels could be slightly different for everyone. My test kit is supposed to be here today. It was in town on Fri so there is no reason it shouldn't be delivered today. I'll check out the how to on the tests so hopefully that learning curve won't be as steep. Thanks again.

My TF-100 was waiting for me when I got home. This is what I have done so far. I added 121 oz of bleach. I have 5lbs of CYA disbursing as I type(it's almost all gone). Testing was waaaay easy and that kit is really nice. I did not test CYA as I am just adding it today. Here are my test results.

FC- 5
TC- 5.5
CH- 75
TA- 80
PH- 6.8

Any suggestions? Should I wait until my CYA is all in and test again tomorrow?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My TF-100 was waiting for me when I got home. This is what I have done so far. I added 121 oz of bleach. I have 5lbs of CYA disbursing as I type(it's almost all gone). Testing was waaaay easy and that kit is really nice. I did not test CYA as I am just adding it today. Here are my test results.

FC- 5
TC- 5.5
CH- 75
TA- 80
PH- 6.8

Any suggestions? Should I wait until my CYA is all in and test again tomorrow?
Fix the pH and :splash:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.