How much full sun needed to keep pool comfortable.

I live in Eastern PA. We have only one suitable spot for our pool, but it is in almost full shade until about Noon and then pretty much full sun the rest of the day. How big of an issue do you think this will cause us as far as keeping the pool at comfortable temperature? If we use one of those solar fish invisible covers at night, would that be enough?

The pool will be going in this part of the yard, pretty much in the middle green space just 'above' the patio pictured. This photo was taken at noon on May 30th, but that is basically what it looked like around 11:00 today, June 8th. By Noon today it was almost in full sun.

Attachments

• IMG_3789.jpg
    IMG_3789.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 69
inground pool? I think you are going to need a heater based on the short season. I lived in Maryland and had an inground pool with almost full sun and I found it stayed really cold until the end of the summer.

EDIT: I see you are putting in an inground pool. I would budget the heater.

Do you own the property to the left? If so, you could take down some trees and that would help...but based on what Dan said you may want a heater either way. I guess it depends on what you consider "comfortable".

Yes, that is our property, at least a few trees deep is ours. I don't want to take down more trees, but I can if it seems to be needed. I don't think Dan and I have the same idea of comfortable, I find pools around here that are in full sun all day to get way too warm. 72-75 degrees is perfect to me. To rephrase my initial question: Does morning or afternoon sun have a stronger warming effect on a pool. The plaster will be dark .

afternoon sun/temps are higher than in the morning so they help warm it more. the issue is temperatures at night lowering the water temp, along with the fact inground pools stay cooler. if it was an above ground pool I think you would be fine. just not a lot of warming with that much cover.

only you can determine if you are comfortable, whatever that temperature is. but the season is so short up there, I would hate to be waiting till July to get in a pool. build the pool and if its too cold, but a heater in next year. they are easy enough to add in after the fact.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.