bugs and small debris

Jun 6, 2015
Papillion, NE
I have noticed that bits of leaves and other organic material (bugs, seeds, etc.) getting into my pump and clogging my cartridge filter pretty regularly. My pool is unfortunately located under trees that for some reason have been losing a lot of semi-dead leaves.

I was wondering if there was a special type of skimmer or method that is more useful in these types of environments? I have the standard Intex skimmer that came with my pool.

I'm currently running the skimmer 24/7 to keep up with surface leaves and vacuuming/skimming the leaves at the bottom of the pool on a daily basis.

Some of us use a skimmer sock to place in the the skimmer (basket) to catch some of those smaller items before they make it to the pump basket and/or filter. I use a 1 gallon paint strainer that I purchased at a local home improvement store and it works well to catch the really small bugs and dog hair that would normally go right through my skimmer. Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Some other people simply use some old panty hose to do the same thing. :)

Some of us use a skimmer sock to place in the the skimmer (basket) to catch some of those smaller items before they make it to the pump basket and/or filter. I use a 1 gallon paint strainer that I purchased at a local home improvement store and it works well to catch the really small bugs and dog hair that would normally go right through my skimmer. Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Some other people simply use some old panty hose to do the same thing. :)

Nice. I was just worried using pantyhose or a sock would reduce the suction too much. I might have to try that!

Well, you do have to check the skimmer consistently since it will trap lots of small gunk, but that's the whole idea I guess. I would rather empty my skimmer sock once or twice a day rather than to have to open my system at the filter to clean out my cartridge. So I think it's worth it. My main filter takes much less abuse. :)

Well, you do have to check the skimmer consistently since it will trap lots of small gunk, but that's the whole idea I guess. I would rather empty my skimmer sock once or twice a day rather than to have to open my system at the filter to clean out my cartridge. So I think it's worth it. My main filter takes much less abuse. :)

Yeah, that's not a problem for me. I usually check it a lot during the day just so I know my pump has optimal suction. It will probably help keep the filter cleaner too. It's such a pain cleaning the cartridge filter when it has bugs, cotton (from cotton wood trees), and other debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.