Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bugs and small debris

1. Back To Top    #1

bugs and small debris

I have noticed that bits of leaves and other organic material (bugs, seeds, etc.) getting into my pump and clogging my cartridge filter pretty regularly. My pool is unfortunately located under trees that for some reason have been losing a lot of semi-dead leaves.

I was wondering if there was a special type of skimmer or method that is more useful in these types of environments? I have the standard Intex skimmer that came with my pool.

I'm currently running the skimmer 24/7 to keep up with surface leaves and vacuuming/skimming the leaves at the bottom of the pool on a daily basis.
    12.5K gal, AG, 2500 GPH Krystal Clear™Model 633TFilter Pump, Intex Type B cartridge filter, installed 5/30/2015, TF-50 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: bugs and small debris

Some of us use a skimmer sock to place in the the skimmer (basket) to catch some of those smaller items before they make it to the pump basket and/or filter. I use a 1 gallon paint strainer that I purchased at a local home improvement store and it works well to catch the really small bugs and dog hair that would normally go right through my skimmer. Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Some other people simply use some old panty hose to do the same thing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Some of us use a skimmer sock to place in the the skimmer (basket) to catch some of those smaller items before they make it to the pump basket and/or filter. I use a 1 gallon paint strainer that I purchased at a local home improvement store and it works well to catch the really small bugs and dog hair that would normally go right through my skimmer. Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Some other people simply use some old panty hose to do the same thing.
    Nice. I was just worried using pantyhose or a sock would reduce the suction too much. I might have to try that!
    12.5K gal, AG, 2500 GPH Krystal Clear™Model 633TFilter Pump, Intex Type B cartridge filter, installed 5/30/2015, TF-50 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, you do have to check the skimmer consistently since it will trap lots of small gunk, but that's the whole idea I guess. I would rather empty my skimmer sock once or twice a day rather than to have to open my system at the filter to clean out my cartridge. So I think it's worth it. My main filter takes much less abuse.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Well, you do have to check the skimmer consistently since it will trap lots of small gunk, but that's the whole idea I guess. I would rather empty my skimmer sock once or twice a day rather than to have to open my system at the filter to clean out my cartridge. So I think it's worth it. My main filter takes much less abuse.
    Yeah, that's not a problem for me. I usually check it a lot during the day just so I know my pump has optimal suction. It will probably help keep the filter cleaner too. It's such a pain cleaning the cartridge filter when it has bugs, cotton (from cotton wood trees), and other debris.

6. Back To Top    #6

interesting the 1 gal paint strainers.

I've been using skimmer socks but they seem to tear after about 3 weeks use.

will try the paint strainers.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.