Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing Course Mid-build

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing Course Mid-build

First time poster and 8-month skulker here on TFP.

We've been awaiting completion of our pool since signing our contract with the PB and starting excavation back in November. It's now June and PB is going out of business. This is what we're supposed to have:
    26,000g
    20'x40' rectangular sport pool
    White marbelite
    1000 sqft exposed aggregate deck

We have a beautiful hole in the backyard, with gorgeous tile and coping and a nice-sized deck--but no swimming yet! We're soooo close. Still need equipment, plaster and our cover. If Ican get the equipment figured out we could be swimming by Independence Day!

The equipment is what brings me to posting today. Originally the PB had us going with all Pentair products, including
    • Intelliflow VS pump 3050,
    • Easytouch 8psc w/Screenlogic
    • Intellichlor 40 SWG,
    • Ultratemp 120 heat pump,
    • FNS+ DE filter,
    • Intellibrite 5g lights

In the future I'm thinking I might want to add a spa or landscape lighting or maybe ph automation, hence the Easytouch.

My question, now that I'm not beholden to my PB's equipment choices and need to go buy all of this stuff myself: is there a better setup? Am I better looking at a Hayward total setup? Is there an ideal best-of-breed selection across brands? I also realize from reading here that pool brand loyalty is almost like car loyalty and that it will be all over the board.

I do like the Omnilogic demo's online--their sales pitch is effective, at least. Jandy Aqualink and equipment? Can I mix and match, even with the automation?

I'm a total newb--so nothing is too basic.
    27K Gal Gunite 20'x40' rectangle sport pool 3.5'-6.0'-4.5' deep; Marbelite plaster, PA Bluestone coping; Pentair IC60 SWG w/Easytouch8, Quad DE 80 filter, Pentair VS pump, Ultratemp 120 Heat Pump; Dark Grey Cover Pool automatic pool cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing Course Mid-build

Most everything can be mix and match, but it is often easier to go with one brand when it comes to fittings and wiring. I have all Jandy stuff. I chose Jandy because I think they have the best valves. Kind of a silly reason, but it has worked out.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I guessed that keeping it to a single brand would be safer--just trying to make my equipment shopping list so we can get the equipment set and then get the plaster moving. I have a time-lapse camera on it and here's what it looks like today.

20150608144101.jpg
    27K Gal Gunite 20'x40' rectangle sport pool 3.5'-6.0'-4.5' deep; Marbelite plaster, PA Bluestone coping; Pentair IC60 SWG w/Easytouch8, Quad DE 80 filter, Pentair VS pump, Ultratemp 120 Heat Pump; Dark Grey Cover Pool automatic pool cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I think that equipment would be great, pentair is on the pricey side but its nice.. You might think about the intellichlor 60 SWG instead... 1800 for the 40 w/easytouch 8 and jumps to 1900 w/60.. From what everyone says the bigger heater works better...

Quote Originally Posted by offthewalls View Post
    First time poster and 8-month skulker here on TFP.
    • Intelliflow VS pump 3050,
    • Easytouch 8psc w/Screenlogic
    • Intellichlor 40 SWG,
    • Ultratemp 120 heat pump,
    • FNS+ DE filter,
    • Intellibrite 5g lights
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks--great suggestions--bigger seems to be the safer way to go both for the heat pump and the swg.