FC @0

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit are you using?
Please post all the results that are "good".
What kind of "shock" did you add? ... likely adding that much was a really bad idea.

Welcome! :wave:

We're not here to sell you a test kit. The obsession on what you used to test is because test strips can actually bleach out from high chlorine levels and although you see zero, it could actually be really high. If by chance, you used 73% Cal-hypo, it would have driven your FC to 34! That's HUGE. And enough to bleach out a test strip.

May we assume the water is green and/or cloudy because you added massive amounts of shock?

Best thing right now is to Read This

Hello Long12! No worries, I fell into that same trap once upon a time. :) Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. We've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. I hope you are able to cross-over to the TFP side and let us help you.

Whelp ... that is your problem.

Pool store testing and advice is horrendous.

If you want to take control of your pool, you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and after checking all the levels, follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clean up your pool.

What "shock" did you use as that will clue us in to the condition of your water.
Thanks for reply, I used a 78% calhydroclor. I test w/5 hth liq test kit

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well, going back to your original post, "All # good except...." may seem fine for now (by looking at the water), but I suspect that will change real quick with pool store "shock products" and an HTH test kit. They just don't meet the needs of proper testing. I'd highly encourage you to order the proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 in link below) to prevent any problems down the road.

By "calhydroclor" I assume you mean cal-hypo?

So you added 12 pounds which is over 60ppm of FC and 50ppm of CH to your pool.
I would guess your test kit is bleached out and showing no FC when you actually may have a high level.
OR
There is so much junk in the pool it consumed it all.

Impossible to know without the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool water is actually very clear. I have no clues as to this problem. I've been doing this for 18 years at least never ran into this. Pulled cover off last Thur, just a little cloudy and green, added 2 lbs of schock and later 2oz copper algaecide. Tested next morn. Pool clearer, ph at 7.3 Fac 0. Now at this time FC 0.7?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been doing this for 18 years at least never ran into this.
We hear variation of this over and over again ... it "works" {you get lucky} until it doesn't.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

The story is the same. 1. Get a good test kit. 2. Follow the SLAM process.

BTW, we never recommend adding copper (or any metal) to the pool as it can result in staining and green hair. And generally algaecide is NEVER needed when you maintain a properly balanced pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.