Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How bleach kills germs

1. Back To Top    #1
    Hillsborough, NC

How bleach kills germs

Bleach has been killing germs for more than 200 years but U.S. scientists have just figured out how the cleaner does its dirty work.

It seems that hypochlorous acid, the active ingredient in bleach, attacks proteins in bacteria, causing them to clump up much like an egg that has been boiled, a team at the University of Michigan reported in the journal Cell on Thursday.
    So that smell from CC is boiled egg!

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: How bleach kills germs

Very interesting (and funny). It's been known for quite a while that hypochlorous acid would tend to oxidize nitrogenous compounds including proteins. What wasn't known is that this triggers the "boiled egg" defense in bacteria reacting in a similar way that heat does, though in a more extreme way.

The same thing happens, of course, to your own cells in the water, namely your skin, but we have a lot of dead skin cells on the surface already so mostly the chlorine is attacking cells that are already dead or that are on the surface layer that would be dying anyway. It also mucks up proteins in hair which is what gives chlorine that reputation for creating "dry or flaky skin" and "frizzy hair". Fortunately, bacteria and algae are single-celled so die off quickly from the chlorine while larger creatures such as ourselves just make more skin that is getting "beaten up" by the environment generally anyway.

16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Interesting. I had logged in to post the same thing myself and saw your post.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks I enjoyed learning something new.
    Artificial Palm Trees and NEW Palm Tree MAILBOX- -- Get your mail delivered in the "tropics" and create your own backyard tropical oasis with your own artificial palm trees!