Newbie, quick question

Jun 4, 2015
Rougemont, NC
I have read enough here that I SHOULD have a good grasp on the methodology and procedures for the SLAM. However, I can't find info on whether or not I need to vacuum the dead algae to waste. In the past, I've had algae growth on the seams, which points to mustard algae. I'm still waiting on my test kit, which should be here in 1-2 days. This past weekend, I added the amount of bleach recommended to get my FC reading up and my strip test kit finally showed a FC reading for the first time in 2 seasons (yay!). This morning, I have what seems to be dead algae (cloudy substance, breaks apart easily, grayish color) accumulating on the bottom of the pool (and I still have a FC reading on the strip :D). I can only assume once I properly SLAM the pool that there will be more accumulation of the dead algae, based on what happened last night. Is this something I need to vacuum to waste? It seems to be a very fine substance and I'm not sure if my sand filter will catch it or not. Just trying to get prepared before the SLAM process and will need to add quite a bit of water if I'm going to be vacuuming to waste again.

Of course, there is the slight possibility that the accumulation of substance I've had on the bottom of the pool since last year could be pollen. I've seen a TFP Expert with the screen name "duraleigh" I think on here, maybe it's "duraleigh jim". If I could somehow tag him, maybe he could assist on ruling pollen out since we are in the same area and pollen counts are pretty low this time of year in central NC.

if its just algae and you didn't have leaves, etc in the bottom of the pool, just run it thru your filter, just keep an eye on pressure and backwash as needed.

as far as pollen goes, well if you are saying your FC keeps dropping and hard to hold, then you have an algae problem. you might have pollen too but that's not the problem. pollen is removed by filtering, which you are going to do when you properly SLAM. you cant slam without the test kit. I see you ordered it, so for now just keep your FC up. until you have the test kit you cant know your SLAM FC level.

JR, welcome to TFP! :wave: You sound motivated and eager to resolve your pool issue, and you have a test kit on order (curious - which one?). :goodjob: But the test strips you are currently using won't help us with anything right now. All the advisors will be on-hold until we know your "true" readings came from a TF-100 or Taylor K2006. Those are the only kits that will tell us you exact FC and CYA. But I can say this, along with the links below that you should read, here are the basics to get ready to SLAM:

- Adjust PH to 7.2 - 7.5; don’t worry about it after that during the SLAM
- Ideal CYA should be 30; the higher the CYA, the more bleach required
- Have a good amount of “regular” liquid bleach on-hand to keep your FC high at all times

As for the SLAM itself .....
SLAM is the term used when we “Shock” our pool to a higher “Level” of Free Chlorine (FC) and “Maintain” it that way until 3 objectives are met:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.

Read-up on the links below so you are armed with knowledge once your kit arrives and you can hit the ground running. Good luck!

Thanks y'all. I ordered the recommended TF-100, XL option this past weekend. So, if they ship today, it should get here tomorrow Wednesday since they ship from about an hour's drive away. I just left for a bit to stock up on some bleach, borax, and baking soda, and upon returning, there's more of the cloudy like substance on the pool floor. So, that rules out the pollen, no way that much would have fallen over a couple hours. I'm well on my way to getting rid of this terrible algae problem. I was just curious about how to get rid of the algae waste substance. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get things straightened out with the test kit. My water is pretty clear, so, my hope is that this SLAM process won't take too long.

Well, I'm power washing the concrete around the pool today, should finish it tomorrow, and I'm getting some blow back, from the seams in the concrete especially, in the pool. So, I'll just vacuum to waste this time around since it's more than just algae dust now that I've decided to powerwash. Figured it was a good time to power wash since there's probably some algae or other organics on the concrete that may get into the pool. I'll start the SLAM as soon as I get the test kit or finish the power washing, which ever happens last.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.